- Washington watch. // Discount Store News;1/1/96, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p17
Presents an update regarding federal and state laws and regulations affecting the discount store industry in the United States. Objections of discount store industry leaders to a proposed National Labor Relations Board rule; Safeguards for employee retirement funds.
- Washington watch. // Discount Store News;10/6/97, Vol. 36 Issue 19, p16
Presents information on several discount store retailers in the United States. Price fixing case settlement of Proctor and Gamble; Senate legislation endorsed by the Industrial Marketing Research Association (IMRA); Ergonomic standard of California.
- Washington watch. // Discount Store News;5/6/96, Vol. 35 Issue 9, p13
Reports on federal developments in discount stores in the United States as of May 6, 1996. May Department Stores' agreement to cease unwarranted collection activities and other practices that may violate federal consumer credit laws; Congressional spending to implement the Job Training...
- Washington watch. // Discount Store News;5/20/96, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p12
Reports on developments about government policy on discount stores in the United States for the week ending May 20, 1996. Includes a court ruling on payment of legal fees of trade associations; Challenge to Texas optometry practice by Federal Trade Commission; Voluntary consumer labeling pilot...
- Washington watch. // Discount Store News;3/18/96, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p17
Reports on developments in regulations concerning discount houses in the United States as of March 13, 1996. Government antitrusters' activity in policing the marketplace for resale price maintenance violations; Terms of the proposed union election rules under consideration at the National...
- Newt to business: Fill the void! // Discount Store News;3/6/95, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p14
Reports on promises by House Speaker Newt Gingrich to discount house industry leaders that Congress will respond to concerns about federal regulations. Need for the private sector to take on more civic responsibility.
- Employment legislation debated. // Discount Store News;3/6/95, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p14
Reports on the possible effect of employment legislation on discount stores in the United States. Possible statutory ground rules governing employment practice; Descriptions of bills in various states.
- Will Congress' help on inventory shrink reserve standards? // Discount Store News;1/16/95, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p16
Reports that retailers affected by the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) controversial position on inventory shrinkage reserves are hoping that the new Congress will be more sympathetic to their position.
- Rule change may clear the way for `free' film offers. // Discount Store News;8/21/95, Vol. 34 Issue 16, p14
Reports on the flexibility of discount chains to advertise tie-in promotions as a result of proposed changes at the Federal Trade Commission.