HR Lessons from a Strike
- How you can support striking Verizon workers. // NYSUT United;Sep2011, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p16
The article reports that the staff, members, and leaders of the New York State United Teachers (NYSUT) are supporting the 45,000 employees of Verizon Communications Inc. who are on strike over the attempt of the company to obtain one billion dollars in concessions.
- 'The Strike of the 21st Century' Paskowski, Marianne // Multichannel News;08/21/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 34, p52
Focuses on the labor strike staged by the Communications Workers of America against Verizon Communications, a wireless telephone company in the United States. Speculation on the relocation and centralization of company operations; Implication of the Verizon commercials for the management; Lack...
- Bitter Verizon Strike Enters Week Three. SPANGLER, TODD // Multichannel News;8/22/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 32, p34
The article focuses on the strike of 45,000 union-represented Verizon Communications Inc. workers in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions on August 7, 2011 which threatened to extend into a third week. Communications Workers of America (CWA) and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers...
- Developments in Industrial Relations. Bornstein, Leon // Monthly Labor Review;Sep71, Vol. 94 Issue 9, p69
Presents news concerning industrial relations in the United States as of September 1971. End of the Communications Workers' strike against the Bell System telephone companies; Selective strikes by the United Transportation Union against the country's railroads; Walkout by members of the...
- Back to work. Ruano, Lida Estela // Caribbean Business;7/30/1998, Vol. 26 Issue 30, p8
Reports that an agreement was reached between the Puerto Rico Telephone Co. (PRTC) unions, and the government of Puerto Rico, over the proposed sale of PRTC to GTE Corp., which lead to a strike by workers of the PRTC. Length of the strike; Details on the agreement between the PRTC union and the...
- Workers mourn `death' of service. Luxner, Larry // Telephony;9/23/96, Vol. 231 Issue 13, p27
Reports that Communications Workers of America union member have staged a mock funeral outside a Bell Atlantic residential service center in Calverton, Maryland to protest what they deem deteriorating working conditions. Katie Mazzi as president of CWA Local 2108; Additional workload for sales...
- Editor's view. Morris, Anne // Total Telecom Magazine;Jan2008, p5
The author discusses the move of Verizon Wireless to employ Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology for the next stage of its network development. According to the author, what continues to aggravate her, probably somewhat unduly, is how certain people in the media and industry insist on referring...
- Privatization's PR disaster. // Earth Island Journal;Winter97/98, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p11
Focuses on the strike at the Puerto Rico Telephone Company in protest of a plan to privatize the company on October 1, 1997.
- Crippling Strike. // New Republic;7/28/47, Vol. 117 Issue 4, p7
Reports that the American Telephone & Telegraph Co. financial statement in July 1947 detailed the costs of a strike.