Teaching Vocabulary Items through Contextualization and Picture to Elementary Iranian EFL Students
- The Contribution of Electronic and Paper Dictionaries to Iranian EFL Learner's Vocabulary Learning. Zarei, Abbas Ali; Gujjar, Aijaz Ahmed // International Journal of Social Sciences & Education;2012, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p628
The purpose of the present paper was to investigate the contribution of paper dictionaries and electronic dictionaries to EFL learners' vocabulary learning. To do so, four groups of male and female EFL learners were selected. The experimental groups (one male, one female) used only electronic...
- The Impact of Task Type and Cognitive Style on Vocabulary Learning. Nezhad, Gholam Reza Haji Pour; Shokrpour, Nasrin // English Language Teaching;Sep2012, Vol. 5 Issue 9, p17
Vocabulary knowledge influences the learners' performance so remarkably that success in all language skills is closely related to it. This vital role necessitates studies focusing on the most effective programs of teaching vocabulary. In this study, we aimed to explore the impact of static...
- Learning Strategies and Vocabulary Knowledge of EFL Sixth and Ninth Grade Learners. Chon, Yuah V.; Dongkwang Shin; Yongsang Lee // English Teaching;Summer2012, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p221
Lexical knowledge is an important predictor of second language learning. The present study focuses on aspects of lexical knowledge of Korean elementary (6th grade) and middle school learners (9th grade) in connection to learning strategies, that is, with regard to vocabulary learning and by...
- A Phenomenological Study of EFL Students' Perceptions of Vocabulary Notebooks as a Vocabulary Learning Strategy. Tri Hoang Dang // Language in India;Sep2013, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p437
This study was designed to explore Vietnamese EFL learners' perceptions and lived experiences of using vocabulary notebooks. The data collection was gained from in-depth interviewing with ten randomly selected high school senior students coming from three schools located in Ho Chi Minh City....
- English Vocabulary and Comprehension Instruction in Secondary Schools in China. Ran Hu // New Waves - Educational Research & Development;2013, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p24
The purpose of this qualitative study was to describe English vocabulary and reading comprehension instruction at three secondary schools under the most current English curriculum in Beijing, China, where English is taught as a foreign language (EFL). Twenty English teachers in three secondary...
- A Study on the Effects of Meditation on Anxiety and Foreign Language Vocabulary Learning. ÖNEM, Engin Evrim // Dil ve Edebiyat Egitimi Dergisi;2015, Issue 15, p149
This study aimed to find whether meditation can be effective in terms of anxiety and vocabulary learning in a foreign language learning context. To test this, an experimental pretest and post-test study was designed. 61 students (14 male-47 female) from the English Language Teaching Department...
- So many words, so little time: Helping college ESL learners acquire vocabulary-building strategies. Johnson, Denise; Steele, Virginia // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Feb96, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p348
Presents strategies to help English as second language students become independent learners of unfamiliar vocabulary they will encounter in their academic courses. Identification of generative strategies; Vocabulary selection strategies; Effectiveness of context as a strategy for vocabulary growth.
- Vocabulary Tablecloths for Secondary Content Reading. Harvey, Ann // New Teacher Advocate;Fall2014, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p16
The article describes an active vocabulary learning activity for secondary content reading that employs a word tablecloth or an extension of the word wall concept to help minority-language students and those who are learning English as a second language increase their word consciousness.
- From the Editor. Coombe, Christine // Perspectives (TESOL Arabia);2008, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p2
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Muhammad Abdel Latif on the composing process of ES/EFL students and another by Daniel Mangrum on a free piece of software for teachers.