Synthesizing TSCA and REACH: Practical Principles for Chemical Regulation Reform
- The Precautionary Principle and Chemicals Regulation. L&3x00F8;kke, S&3x00F8;ren // Environmental Science & Pollution Research;Sep2006, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p342
The article examines the evolution of precautionary principle and chemicals regulation of the European Union (EU). It also investigates how these foundations interact mutually within the Organization for Cooperation and Development and its member countries in Europe. The EU's Regulation,...
- E.U. Amends REACH. // Pollution Engineering;Dec2008, Vol. 40 Issue 12, p10
The article reports on the amendment made by the European Union (EU) to its Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restrictions of Chemicals (REACH). The changes focus on adding and deleting of chemicals under the Annex IV section. Among the chemicals added, include krypton, neon and xenon,...
- The SIN List as model for the identification of Substances of Very High Concern. Ligthart, Jerker J. // Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health;Aug2010, Vol. 64 Issue 8, p654
The article presents the Substitute It Now (SIN) List which serves as model for the identification of chemicals that fulfil the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) criteria, the chemicals legislation in the European Union (EU) for Substances of Very High...
- Who's Ahead In Environmental Protection: The United States or the European Union? // Environmental Forum;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p46
The article focuses on the issues regarding environmental protection in the European Union and in the U.S. It was speculated that European national environmental laws were modeled after the law in the U.S. The U.S. government has also developed a sophisticated risk-based approach while Europeans...
- Flying Towards Lower Emissions. // Natural Life;Mar/Apr2007, Issue 114, p41
The article reports on the proposal of the European Union to implement an environmentally friendly system to airlines. The proposed environmental policy seeks to establish a more fuel-economical airline operation and promote lower emissions. Airlines that pollute will have to buy additional...
- European Commission gives Reach glowing report. YOUNG, IAN // Chemical Week;2/18/2013, Vol. 175 Issue 5, p15
The article reports that the European Commission (EC) released a report in February 2013 which praises the European Union's (EU's) Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation, and Restriction of Chemicals (Reach) regulation. Topics include the EC's recommended adjustments to Reach, the EC's decision...
- EU Drafts Far-Reaching Chemicals Policy. Tickner, Joel // Yes!;Fall2003, Issue 27, p8
Reports on the legislation drafted by the European Union which requires the screening of chemicals manufactured and sold in Europe. Policy's aim to address the risks that chemicals pose to human health and the environment; Provisions of the legislation.
- Industry and NGOs highlight gaps in REACH. // ENDS (Environmental Data Services);Mar2013, Issue 457, p42
The article discusses the uncertainty over the positive impact of the European Union's Registration Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH) regulation on competitiveness and innovation in the chemicals industry as of March 2013.
- The European Union's chemical legislation needs revision. Hansen, Steffen Foss // Nature Nanotechnology;May2013, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p305
A letter to the editor is presented which discusses the need to revise the chemical legislative called Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) by the European Union.