For Useless Learning
- Teaching in a theology department in a secular university: reflecting on the spirituality of learning. Harris, Harriet // Journal of Education & Christian Belief;Spring2002, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p27
Addresses several issues related to teaching in a theology department within a secular university. Student grievances in institutions; Objective of the study of theology; Discussion on how to practice the spirituality of learning.
- What shall we defend? Short, Thomas // Academic Questions;Fall91, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p18
Discusses issues to defend regarding liberal education. Politicization of the academy; Rejection of debased form of leftism; Criticism of liberal education for its alleged elitist views.
- A future for the liberal arts, if... Barzun, Jacques // Academic Questions;Fall94, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p74
Discusses the necessity of a liberal arts education. Development of intelligence and sensitivity through the study of humanities; Importance of social ideas in every human being.
- Liberal education and the idea of the postmodern university. Pratt, Linda Ray // Academe;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p46
Discusses liberal education and the idea of the postmodern university. First universities in the United States as places of liberal education; Liberal education as the proper curriculum for the cultivation of the intellect; Debate between the value of a liberal education and new pressures for a...
- `Liberal Arts' colleges and the myth of uniqueness. Delucchi, Michael // Journal of Higher Education;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 68 Issue 4, p414
Focuses on an analysis which looked at problems that face most liberal arts colleges. Perception on the relationship between academic claims and curricula in higher education; Methodology used in the analysis; Speculation on the financial growth in college tuitions.
- The politics of innocence. Boyte, Harry C. // Liberal Education;Jan/Feb91, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p20
Focuses on dilemmas facing liberal education. Discussion of difference; Protest politics; Academic issues; Movements of the 1960s.
- Ramapo College. Magnino, Lisa L. // Liberal Education;Jan/Feb91, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p40
Focuses on the promotion of campus and community diversity at the Ramapo College of New Jersey. Curriculum description; Students' organization of Unity Week.
- Personal narrative & academic discourse. Lemke, Jay // Liberal Education;May/Jun92, Vol. 78 Issue 3, p28
Discusses the use of personal narrative (PN) plays in teaching liberal arts and science to college students. Concept of PN; Impact of academic discourse (AD); Differences and functional similarities of PN and AD; Criteria of teaching academic disciplines.
- An uncertain trumpet. Keeton, Morris; James, Reno // Liberal Education;Sep/Oct92, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p8
Focuses on the provision of liberal education for diverse adult students. College environment; Barriers to becoming a multicultural institution; Support for copping; Reasons for becoming a multicultural institution.