Office management of patients with diastolic heart failure
- In directions to patients, be clear and explicit. // Pharmacy Today;Feb2015, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p90
The article presents a case study of a 67-year-old man with hypotension, tachycardia, gray vision, and lightheadedness who was taken to the emergency department. His EKG showed an abnormal sinus rhythm resembling atrial fibrillation. His cardiologist recommended starting him on digoxin and...
- ACE inhibitors versus ARBs: comparison of practice guidelines and treatment selection considerations. Miller, Amy E.; Cziraky, Mark; Spinler, Sarah A. // Formulary;Jun2006, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p274
Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and angiotensin receptors blockers (ARBs) play a role in the treatment of hypertension (HTN) and heart failure (HF). The literature shows that in patients with HTN with comorbidities, such as HF, myocardial infarction (MI), diabetes mellitus,...
- Pacemaker is the best option for fibrillation that doesn't respond to drugs. Alexander, Sidney // Modern Medicine;Jun98, Vol. 66 Issue 6, p62
Presents an abstract of the article `Comparisons of Quality of Life and Cardiac Performance After Complete Atrioventricular Junction Ablation and Atrioventricular Junction Modification in Patients with Medically Refractory Atrial Fibrillation,' by S.H. Lee, S.A. Chen, et al from the `Journal of...
- New hypertension study refutes ALLHAT. // Formulary;Mar2003, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p129
Cites the study known as the Second Australian National Blood Pressure Study (ANBP2) which refutes the findings from the published Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial. Superiority of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors over diuretics in preventing...
- Eprosartan cost effective for hypertension in Sweden. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;2/10/2007, Issue 521, p9
The article discusses research being done on the cost effectiveness and efficacy of eprosartan for treating patients with hypertension in Sweden. It references a study by A. Lindgren et al, published in the November-December 2006 issue of the journal "Value in Health 9." The study compares the...
- Digitalis meds: Stability vs. toxicity. P.F.C. // Cortlandt Forum;12/20/95, Vol. 8 Issue 12, p54
Answers a question concerning the use of digoxin in treatment of atrial fibrillation.
- Digoxin for Atrial Fibrillation: A Drug Whose Time Has Gone? Falk, Rodney H.; Leavitt, Jeffrey I. // Annals of Internal Medicine;4/1/91, Vol. 114 Issue 7, p573
Discusses the use of digoxin as a treatment for terminating recent-onset atrial fibrillation. Background on atrial fibrillation; Information on the control of ventricular rate in chronic atrial fibrillation; Role of digoxin in the restoration of sinus rhythm.
- Digoxin for Converting Recent-Onset Atrial Fibrillation to Sinus Rhythm. Falk, Rodney H.; Knowlton, Anne A.; Bernard, Sheilah A.; Gotlieb, Norman E.; Battinelli, Nancy J. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Apr87, Vol. 106 Issue 4, p503
Presents a study that examined the effectiveness of digoxin in converting atrial fibrillation of recent onset to normal sinus rhythm. Background on atrial fibrillation; Assessment of the significance of digoxin in preventing the induction of arrhythmia; Results and implications.
- Reassess digoxin use in patients with AF, GPs told. // Pulse;12/5/2012, Vol. 72 Issue 40, p9
The article discusses the report related to the need for reassessment at use of digoxin for the treatment of atrial fibrillation patients.