The Good and the Bad of The Second Half of 2008
- Holidays Push Books Back Up, Though Not Enough. // Book Publishing Report;Mar2010, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p8
The article focuses on the rebound in the U.S. trade publishing industry during the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2009. It says that the operating profit of Harlequin Enterprises Ltd. increased to 66.1% due to its electronic book (e-book) strategy. It mentions that HarperCollins Publishers LLC's...
- First Half Offers Mixed Results for Leading Publishers. // Book Publishing Report;Aug2008, Vol. 33 Issue 8, p11
The article reports on the financial performance of several publication companies in the first half of 2008 in the U.S. Harlequin recorded a decline of $11.1 million in revenue due to the weak economy. HarperCollins' operating profit increased by $7 million compared to the same period in 2007....
- FINANCIAL NEWS. // Book Publishing Report;2/17/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 7, p7
Reports on the financial performance of the book publishing industry. Increase of revenue by HarperCollins; Escalation of the fourth quarter sales of Borders Group; Corporate earnings of Simon & Schuster.
- Publishers' Profits Had Solid Gains in 1999. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;9/4/2000, Vol. 247 Issue 36, p11
Tracks the operating margins of publishing companies in the United States in 1998-1999. Percentage of increase in HarperCollins' profits; Impact of acquisitions on the operating profit of John Wiley & Sons; What contributed to the decline in the profit of Simon & Schuster.
- RH Puts New Cooking Title on Top of NYT Advice/Misc. List. // Book Publishing Report;11/13/2006, Vol. 31 Issue 44, p7
The article reports on developments related to the book industry and trade in the U.S. Random House has the top two titles on the hardcover side including "Barefoot Contessa at Home" and "Ageless." Simon & Schuster is paced by the No. 4 title on the hardcover list with Paula Deen's "Paula Deen...
- Latest Quarterly Results Erratic; Profits Flat or Down. // Book Publishing Report;May2008, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p10
The article offers information about the business activities of several publishers in 2007 and 2008 in the U.S. Simon & Schuster Inc. experienced a 32 percent decline in its operating profit for the first quarter of 2008 and a 12 percent drop in the first quarter of 2007. HarperCollins...
- Publishers' First Quarter Generally Stronger Year-Over-Year. // Book Publishing Report;May2010, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p1
The article focuses on the revenues and profits of trade publishing houses in which a rebound for the first quarter of 2010 is observed according to the "Book Publishing Report" (BPR). It says that profit increase of 53.7% is reported by four publishers including Simon & Schuster Inc.,...
- NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER SCORECARD THE PUBLISHERS/ Paperback Nonfiction. // Book Publishing Report;2/24/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p3
Provides the New York Times bestseller scorecard of publishers, as of February 2003. Random House Inc.; Simon & Schuster Inc.; HarperCollins; Penguin Group USA; Time Warner; Health Communications.
- People in the News. // Book Publishing Report;2/23/2004, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p7
The article presents developments related to the book industry and trade in the U.S. as of February 2004. Rick Turner, vice president of Eastern regional sales at HarperCollins Publishers Inc., will retire, effective April 15. Turner joined Barnes & Noble Publishing 35 years ago. Simon &...