IRISH CROCHET A VINTAGE TECHNIQUE
- The Story of Clones Lace: Part 3. Treanor, Maire // Interweave Crochet;Mar2012, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p70
The author discusses the history of clones lace from its inception in Ireland to 2012. The author mentions some distinctions between Irish lace made in Ireland and Irish lace made in the U.S. She adds that crocheters in the U.S. usually develop intricate three-dimensional motifs while the Irish...
- Salvation from Starvation. Wetsch, Maryvonne // Piecework;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p20
The article discusses how the Irish crochet lace saved the people from Brittany, France from starvation back in the early 20th century. During the 19th century, residents of Brittany live through sardine fishing. But when the sardines disappeared from 1902 to 1907, the communities went hungry....
- Notions. Hutchins, Jeane // Piecework;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p2
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses articles in the issue on topics including Yap Lace, Irish crochet, and the lace patterns created by Jane Weaver for the publication "Peterson's Magazine."
- Crochet Questions. Thompson, Dawn // Crochet World;Feb2008, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p20
The article presents questions and answers related to crochet, including the different between a 4-double crochet and a 3-double crochet filet, how to make the open spaces in a filet crochet design and how to start the chain with a 4-double filet crochet.
- CROCHET CONNECTIONS. DeBritz, Kitty; Bogue, E.; Schemel, Lee Ann; Bailey, Cindy; Moyer, Kay; Jones, Jean; Gentrup, Joyce; Connell, Emily; Morgan, Amy; Cornett, Maureen // Crochet World;Dec2012, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p52
Several letters to the editor are presented on various requests for pattern copies including the Hoosier Granny Shrug, a 6-inch crocheted worm pattern, and Elizabeth Hiddleson pattern books.
- Crochet Potpourri. // Crochet World;Aug2006, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p22
Presents several letters from readers which aimed to locate some special crochet patterns or yarn. Request by some readers for patterns of baby afghans, 1960s capes and a thread motif pattern; Plan by one reader to buy the old Annie's Attic Henrietta Bun Warmer; Efforts by one reader to trade...
- CROCHET CONNECTIONS. // Crochet World;Jun2013, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p38
The article presents queries from readers regarding crochet patterns and yarns. A reader is looking for a pattern of the Smurf twins at 10 to 12 inches tall with yellow hair and big white hats. Another is looking for scrap yarns that can be used by the shawl ministry of her church. One reader is...
- Face Facts. Gates, Janise // Faces;Mar2006, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p39
The article reports that people began calling knitted or crocheted wool blankets "afghans" in the 19th century because the people of Afghanistan were known for their beautiful textiles.
- BUYER'S GUIDE. // Crochet!;Mar2006, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p68
The article presents a directory of crocheting-equipment suppliers and manufacturers. The list includes Caron International Inc., Cascade Yarns, Brown Sheep Co. Inc., Dale of Norway Inc. and Deco Art Inc.