GOP Seeks Compromise On Schools
- House Panel refuses to expand Rangel's academy bonds. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;10/10/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30249, p4
Reports that the US House Ways and Means Committee has rejected an amendment that expands the qualified zone academy bonds program sponsored by lawmaker Charles Rangel that became law as part of the balanced-budget agreement. Allowing poor schools to sell interest-free bonds to finance...
- Bond Bills Introduced Shortly Before Congress's Recess. Jagoda, Naomi // Bond Buyer;8/5/2014, Vol. 1 Issue 34155, p1
The article reports on introduction of bond-related legislative bills in the U.S. House and the Senate before the recess of the U.S. Congress in 2014. It discusses several bonds like Build America Bonds (BAB), qualified zone academy bonds and new clean renewable energy bonds included in the...
- The House of Representatives--state by state. // World Almanac for Kids;1996, p221
Lists the number of representatives per state that are in the United States House of Representatives.
- Procurement rates are emphasized in '89... // Aviation Week & Space Technology;6/13/88, Vol. 128 Issue 24, p25
The House Appropriations Committee has recommended appropriations for Fiscal 1989 military spending that closely match funding already authorized by the full house. The appropriations bill does not repeat restrictive language on arms control issues already adopted by the House, but instead...
- House blocks attempt to slash station funds. Mecham, M. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;7/24/1989, Vol. 131 Issue 4, p32
Reports that the House voted to recommend a 13 percent increase to NASA's total Fiscal 1990 funding, blocking an attempt to slash space station funding in order to benefit other programs. Other committee changes to NASA budget request. B
- Omnibus Drug Legislation. // Congressional Digest;Nov86, Vol. 65 Issue 11, p259
H.R.5484, the Omnibus Drug Enforcement, Education and Control Act of 1986, has spurred controversy. Should the Armed Forces be used to intercept shipments; Should the death penalty be used to deter sales? Listed: federal agencies involved, drug legislation 1965-86, recent Congressional...
- Balanced Budget Constitutional Amendment. // Congressional Digest;Nov89, Vol. 68 Issue 11, p257
Presents a general discussion of the political issue of how to achieve a balance of revenues and expenditures within the Federal budget and the proposal of a balanced budget constitutional amendment.
- Statement to the Congress. // Federal Reserve Bulletin;Oct92, Vol. 78 Issue 10, p746
Presents a statement made by Richard Spillenkothen, Director, Division of Banking Supervision and Regulation before the Subcommittee on General Oversight and Investigations of the House Committee on Banking, Finance and Urban Affairs in which he discussed the impact of recent legislative and...
- Gray takes historic step as first black majority whip. Booker, S. // Jet;7/3/89, Vol. 76 Issue 13, p6
Reports on Rep. William Gray's (D., Pa.) position as the first black majority whip in the US House of Representatives.