Companies reduce prices for HIV drugs in developing countries
- A CONTINENT AT RISK. McNeil Jr., Donald G. // New York Times Upfront;05/14/2001, Vol. 133 Issue 18, p8
Discusses the decision of major American and European drug companies to reduce the prices of drugs they manufacture to treat AIDS and HIV infections. Benefits to be derived by African countries from the move; Number of AIDS and HIV-positive patients in Africa; African countries that have formed...
- From the analyst's couch: HIV drug market. Werber, Yaron // Nature Reviews Drug Discovery;Jul2003, Vol. 2 Issue 7, p513
Examines developments in the HIV drug market in the U.S. Components of the standard triple-drug therapy; Antiretrovirals; Gilead Sciences' development of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate; Prospects for protease inhibitors; Emergence of fusion inhibitors as promising targets in HIV research.
- Counterpoint: The Distribution of HIV/AIDS Drugs in Africa. Anderson, Tim // Points of View: AIDS Drugs in Africa;2011, p6
This article presents an argument against the distribution of HIV/AIDS drugs in Africa by big pharmaceutical companies. While the infection and death of millions in Africa from HIV and AIDS is a major health crisis that needs immediate attention, pharmaceutical companies should not be allowed to...
- Grace Under Fire. Turner, Neil // Pharmaceutical Executive;Aug2001, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p44
Criticizes the pharmaceutical industry for their failure to intervene with the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Africa. Lack of crisis management strategies; Failure of the industry to identify the other factors which contributed to the HIV/AIDS pandemic; Recommendations on how the industry can respond to...
- hiv update. Lee, Daniel // Out;Jan2004, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p70
Presents research developments on HIV prevention and treatment as of January 1, 2004. Implication of the development of superinfection in HIV-positive persons; Obstacle faced by pharmaceutical companies in developing more effective treatments to combat HIV/AIDS; Medications for HIV/AIDS.
- Drug news and trial developments. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Mar1998, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p231
Presents information on drugs and trial developments in the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). AIDS vaccine study by VaxGen Incorporated; Study of HIV-positive patients receiving thalidomide treatment; Approval of rituximab for...
- List of pre-qualified products - 20 March 2002. // WHO Drug Information;2002, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p33
Presents pre-qualified pharmaceutical products for the Pilot Procurement Project, submitted by manufacturers of drugs for the treatment of HIV infection and AIDS.
- PHS proposes `parallel track' for new AIDS drugs. // Public Health Reports;Sep/Oct90, Vol. 105 Issue 5, p541
Reports on the US Public Health Service's (PHS) proposal for speeding the availability of investigational new drugs for AIDS and HIV-related diseases by means of a parallel track mechanism. Selection of patients with life-threatening illnesses including AIDS; Views on the safeguards to parallel...
- MCOs, AIDS activists join forces on national database for disease-management strategies. // Managed Healthcare;Apr98, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p7
Reports on the HIV Treatment Data Project, a national database on HIV/AIDS treatments and disease-management being planned by the managed care industry and AIDS activists. Collaboration of the Group Health Cooperative Center for Health Studies and the University of Washington's Center for AIDS...