Congress in Deal on Medicare 'Givebacks'
- Calif. Bill May Force State to Use Tobacco Money for Health Care. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;08/15/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30954, p1
Reports that the pending California Senate Bill 673 may restrict the state to using its share of the national tobacco settlement only for health care related purposes. Estimated number of uninsured people in the state; Key provisions of the bill; California's two other tobacco-related funds.
- Michigan Bill Allows Municipalities to Sell Post-Retirement Bonds. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;12/18/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32530, p40
The article focuses on a legislation approved by Michigan lawmakers that provides for cities, townships, and counties the authority to sell bonds to finance post-retirement health care benefits. The legislation requires that municipalities should declare the difference between investment returns...
- APHA applauds House, Senate for passing SCHIP legislation. // Nation's Health;Sep2007, Vol. 37 Issue 7, p2
The article reports on the passage of bills that would reauthorize the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) and continue access to health care for millions of uninsured children. The U.S. House bill H.R. 3162 would provide a $35 billion increase in SCHIP funding and raise the...
- THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT. // Bond Buyer;7/3/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32415, p33
A chart is presented that lists the status of legislation of interest to public finance in the U.S. including the proposed elimination of the use of tax-exempt bonds to finance sports stadiums for professional teams, and the repeal of two percent de minimus exemption for cost of borrowing to buy...
- House Overwhelmingly Approves D.C.'s Fiscal 2005 Spending Plan. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;7/21/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31930, p4
Reports on the U.S. House's approval of Washington, D.C.'s spending bill for the fiscal year beginning October 1, 2004, which authorizes the city to sell $400 million of general obligation bonds. Federal payment to the city under the bill; Components of the spending plan.
- THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT. // Bond Buyer;10/23/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32492, p31
A chart is presented depicting updates on the status of several bills and current and proposed law affecting the U.S. municipal bond market.
- PUBLIC FINANCE (STATE SECTOR MANAGEMENT) BILL. // Parliamentarian;2005, Vol. 86 Issue 2, p181
Focuses on the Public Finance (State Sector Management) Bill in New Zealand. Opinion of Trevor Mallard, Associate Minister of Finance, on the bill; Reason for the introduction of the legislation; Issues raised by John Key of National and Gordon Copeland of the United Future regarding the bill.
- Bulk of California's big bond bills survive legislative deadline. Figler, Andrea // Bond Buyer;06/11/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30660, p38
Reports on the status of various bond-related legislative bills in California, after the June 4, 1999, legislative deadline. Bills which failed and succeeded to pass a single chamber; Projects to be financed by the proposed bond offerings; Key provisions of the bills.
- Congress Gives Final Approval to HUD and EPA Budget Legislation. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;10/20/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31000, p5
Reports on the United States Congress' approval of legislation to provide new spending for housing programs and for water-related state revolving fund programs for the fiscal year that began October 1, 2000. Amount appropriated for the projects; U.S. President Bill Clinton's proposed Section 8...