Proximal Humeral Fracture as a Risk Factor for Subsequent Hip Fractures
- Benzodiazepines and hip fractures in elderly people: case-control study. Pierfitte, Corinne; Macouillard, Gerard; Thicoipe, Michel; Chaslerie, Anicet; Pehourcq, Fabienne; Aissou, Myriam; Martinez, Beatrice; Lagnaoui, Rajaa; Fourrier, Annie; Begaud, Bernard; Dangoumau, Jacques; Moore, Nicholas // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);03/24/2001, Vol. 322 Issue 7288, p704
Conclusion: Except for lorazepam, the presence of benzodiazepines in plasma was not associated with an increased risk of hip fracture. The method used to ascertain exposure could influence the results of case-control studies.
- Can Osteoporosis Treatment Reduce Shoulder Fractures? STANTON, TERRY // AAOS Now;May2013, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p9
The article discusses the study by Anshu Singh and colleagues on whether treatment of osteoporosis can reduce fractures on shoulder. The study identifies 524,612 patients who were at risk for of proximal humerus fracture. Patients were regarded to have screened for osteoporosis to determine if...
- Childhood Obesity as a Risk Factor for Lateral Condyle Fractures Over Supracondylar Humerus Fractures. Fornari, Eric; Suszter, Mike; Roocroft, Joanna; Bastrom, Tracey; Edmonds, Eric; Schlechter, John // Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research;Apr2013, Vol. 471 Issue 4, p1193
Background: Obese children reportedly have an increased risk of sustaining musculoskeletal injuries compared with their normal-weight peers. Obese children are at greater risk for sustaining fractures of the forearm, particularly from low-energy mechanisms. Furthermore, obesity is a risk factor...
- Of Fluoride and Fracture Risk. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Jan2001, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p2
Presents information on the health risks of areas with fluoridated water for hip and arm fractures. Factors that may contribute to the risk of having bone fractures; Information on a comparative study conducted to confirm the impact of fluoride on bone fractures.
- Muscle relaxants raise fracture risk in elderly. // Reactions Weekly;8/28/2010, Issue 1316, p2
The article discusses research study on the risk of fracture injuries in older adults taking centrally acting muscle relaxants, referencing a study by A. G. Golden and colleagues published in the July 6, 2010 issue "Annals of Pharmacotherapy."
- Osteoporotische Frakturen am proximalen Humerus. Lill, H.; Ellwein, A.; Katthagen, C.; Voigt, C. // Der Chirurg;Oct2012, Vol. 83 Issue 10, p858
Fractures of the proximal humerus are typical osteoporotic fractures of the elderly with an increasing incidence. Computed tomography (CT) with 3D reconstruction plays a more and more decisive role in the diagnostics because of an improved understanding of fractures in 3D images. The resulting...
- Is Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty Appropriate for the Treatment of Fractures in the Older Patient?: Early Observations. Lenarz, Christopher; Shishani, Yousef; McCrum, Christopher; Nowinski, Robert; Edwards, T.; Gobezie, Reuben // Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research;Dec2011, Vol. 469 Issue 12, p3324
Background: The treatment of comminuted proximal humerus fractures in older patients is challenging. Variable values of functional outcomes scores, ROMs, patient satisfaction, and bony healing have been reported with conventional techniques, including open reduction and internal fixation,...
- Proximal Humerus Fractures in the Elderly Can Be Reliably Fixed With a 'Hybrid' Locked-plating Technique. Barlow, Jonathan; Sanchez-Sotelo, Joaquin; Torchia, Michael // Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research;Dec2011, Vol. 469 Issue 12, p3281
Background: Controversy exists regarding the best treatment of proximal humerus fractures in the elderly. Recent studies of open reduction and internal fixation have demonstrated high complication rates. Questions/purposes: We asked whether (1) open reduction and internal fixation could be...
- Comparison of Hemiarthroplasty and Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty for the Treatment of Proximal Humeral Fractures in Elderly Patients. Cuff, Derek J.; Pupello, Derek R. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;11/20/2013, Vol. 95-A Issue 22, p2050
The article discusses a study on evaluating the patient outcomes by comparing hemiarthroplasty (HA) and reverse shoulder arthroplasty (RSA) for proximal humeral fractures treatment in elderly patients. It says that 53 elderly patients have underwent an arthroplasty for a complex proximal humeral...