5 Errors Financial Planners Commonly Make When Working with Divorcing Clients
- Client's alimony payments: To deduct, or not to deduct? Rywick, Bob // Accounting Today;5/17/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p18
Ponders whether alimony payments are deductible. General concept of alimony payments; Factors that should be considered by the parties to a divorce; Requirements for deductibility.
- ALIMONY: POWER TO MODIFY: CAL CIV. CODE ï¿½ 139. // California Law Review;May36, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p464
Discusses a court ruling in California on an alimony case filed in 1936. Background of the case; Basis of the court ruling; Significance of the case.
- Interstate Recognition of Support Duties. Ehrenzweig, Albert A. // California Law Review;Jul54, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p382
Discusses the conflicts problems which face a California court dealing with duties of support in original suits. Risk of having lenient laws for states; Requirements for the law prevailing at a deserter's residence; Inability of nonresident dependent to relitigate his case at the deserter's...
- Split Decisions. Grilli, Michael J. // BusinessWest;7/18/2011, p52
The article discusses issues concerning the proposed changes in the alimony system in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It notes that the proposed bill would set forth not only a guideline for the amount of alimony to be paid but also guidelines as to the duration of time that the alimony would...
- Spousal Support in CHAOS. Turner, Brett R. // Family Advocate;Spring2003, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p14
Discusses the basic rules and procedures of spousal support in the advent of divorce or legal separation in the U.S. Classification of spousal support awards; Evolution of the law of spousal support; Attempts to provide guidance on support issues.
- The Tax Traps of Alimony. Jaffe, Daniel J.; Riff, Lorna A. // Family Advocate;Spring2003, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p24
Focuses on the taxation rules of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service for alimony awards. Definition of alimony under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code; Legal instruments in divorce mediation used in determining alimony payments; Forms of alimony payments; Formula for determining the amount to...
- Late-Life Divorce: A Role for Financial Planning. Green, Janice L. // Journal of Financial Planning;Aug2010, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p48
The article discusses the role of financial planning in divorce after 50 years old wherein the divorce could create unique complexities to the couples. Shorter time is given to those late-life divorce especially when it comes to generating income or emphasize asset attributes relevant later in...
- A New Beginning After Divorce. Sewell, Bonnie A. // Journal of Financial Planning;Sep2011, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p48
The article discusses the author's perspectives on the role of certified financial planners (CFP) in helping the financial planning of clients who are divorcing. She explains the work of a certified divorce financial analyst (CDFA) which is distinct and different from regular financial planning....
- Find a Safe Space. // Investment Advisor;Sep2012, p68
The article focuses on the need for a financial advisor to meet the divorcing couple separately in order to discuss ways on how the clients can improve or maintain their financial security.