South Africa in storm over bill for affirmative action
- Oregon Gov. Kulongoski puts NCAA on legal notice. Harris, Jaime C. // New York Amsterdam News;7/30/2009, Vol. 100 Issue 31, p40
The article reports on the approval of House Bill 3118, a mandate that alters the exclusionary hiring practices of sports team, by Governor Ted Kulongoski in Oregon. As stipulated in the legislation, public institutions are required to interview one or more qualified minority candidates when...
- `Should the Racial Justice Act of 1990 Be Approved?' PRO. // Congressional Digest;Nov90, Vol. 69 Issue 11, p276
Advocates the passage of the Racial Justice Act of 1990, with floor speeches by Senators Edward M. Kennedy, Joseph R. Biden, Jr. and Howard M. Metzenbaum.
- `Should the Racial Justice Act of 1990 Be Approved?' CON. // Congressional Digest;Nov90, Vol. 69 Issue 11, p277
Argues against the approval of the Racial Justice Act of 1990, with floor speeches by Senators Gordon J. Humphrey, Alan J. Dixon and Robert Graham.
- House democrats approve death penalty by quotas. // Human Events;4/29/94, Vol. 50 Issue 16, p5
Reports on the passage of the Racial Justice Act provisions in the crime bill in the United States. Provisions under the Act; Criticism against the Act; Effect on the implementation of capital punishment.
- Step 51: Race discrimination. Dimond, Bridgit // British Journal of Midwifery;Mar2003, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p152
Focuses on the British Race Relations Act 1976 which made it a statutory offense to discriminate against a person on the grounds of race. Powers and responsibilities of the Commission for Racial equality; Guidance on maternity services; Amendments to the Act.
- All employers will have to report new hires. // Wenatchee Business Journal;Sep97, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p37
Focuses on a federal law mandating New Hire Reporting programs where employers are required to report new hire and rehire information on their employees. Elimination of exceptions to mandate when law takes effect in 1998; Effectiveness of law in collection of child support from parents who...
- Credit cards to be barred? Laabs, Jennifer J.; Keller, Donald R. // Personnel Journal;Aug94, Vol. 73 Issue 8, p93
Reports that a pair of bills (HR 1015/S 783) that would bar employers from obtaining credit checks on either current or prospective employees without their consent was approved by the Senate and is awaiting action by the House.
- Employers must report new hires to state governments. Leonard, Bill // HR Magazine;Oct97, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p10
Reports on the 1996 federal welfare reform law that requires employers to report information on hired employees to their state governments that will then transmit the information to National Directory of New Hires. Purpose of the data; Deadline for employers to submit their reports; States with...
- Off-again, on-again. Miller, William H. // Industry Week/IW;6/20/94, Vol. 243 Issue 12, p65
Reports on legislation of a bill that seeks to bar companies from hiring permanent replacement workers during economic strikes.