EU switches priorities on EWC debate
- A EuroFed in the European Community. Veramallay, Ashton I. // Atlantic Economic Journal;Sep93, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p78
Examines the European Community's (EC) efforts toward monetary unification. Completion of the Single Market Program; Creation of a European central bank or EuroFed; Adoption of a common currency.
- EMU: Will it Fly? Pollard, Patricia S. // Review (00149187);Jul/Aug95, Vol. 77 Issue 4, p3
Examines the criteria for interest rates, inflation rates, government finances and exchange rates in establishing an economic and monetary union (EMU) within the European Union. Creation of a committee for the study of EMU called the Delors Committee; Recommendations of the committee as the...
- Complying with the European marketplace. Sheppard, Laurel M. // Ceramic Industry;Jan1996, Vol. 145 Issue 1, p9
Discusses the importance of understanding the European Union's directives in order for companies to succeed in the European marketplace. Objective of many companies in establishing or increasing their presence in the European marketplace; Definition of directive; Harsh consequences for failure...
- Real costs of Euro-workers. Cronin, Michael P. // Inc.;Oct94, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p123
Reports that Europe may call itself unified, but its members still have separate tax and social-security structures that contribute to the costs of employing people there. Benefit's mandated voluntarily; Employer's voluntary contribution to benefits.
- And one for all. // New Statesman & Society;11/6/92, Vol. 5 Issue 227, p18
Examines the monetary crisis in Europe and suggests that public need must take precedence over private gain in European Community (EC) policy. Necessity of single European currency; European Recovery Program and employment; Reduced hours as key to job creation; More.
- Will an EC currency harm outsiders? Cooper, Richard N. // Orbis;Fall92, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p517
Examines the possible impact of the formation of a European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) on the rest of the world. Content of the European Monetary Union; European Community (EC) and the European Monetary System (EMS); Issues of a transition to an EMU; Balance of payments adjustment;...
- After Maastricht: Hard choices for Europe. Ross, George // World Policy Journal;Summer92, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p487
Discusses the role the state would play in a mixed economy through industrial and welfare policies in the `European model of society.' Jacques Delors, president of the European Commission; European industry; The program of Europe 1992; Renegotiating the European Community (EC) constitution;...
- Economic and monetary union: Pillar of a federal polity. Pinder, John // Publius: The Journal of Federalism;Fall96, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p123
Focuses on the establishment of the economic and monetary union (Emu) project as a pillar of a federal polity in the European Union. Reasons for the establishment of the Emu project; Federalism as a process; Obstacles in the formation of a federal union.
- Policy issues. // Economic Bulletin for Europe;1993, Vol. 45, p1
Discusses economic policy issues in the European Union. Despondency over growing unemployment; Conclusion by the European Community Association Agreements with Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary; Uruguay round of multilateral trade negotiations.