Taking on Goliath
- USC's Mark Baida leaves hotel career to prepare Trojan courses. Elan, Elissa // Nation's Restaurant News;4/10/2006, Vol. 40 Issue 15, p48
The article presents an interview with University of Southern California executive chef Mark Baida regarding his responsibilities and role in the university food service. He has discussed the number of students fed daily and also described the food service facilities that the university offer to...
- Women's pay rises 3.7% on '98 W-2s. // FoodService Director;12/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p69
Reports on a study by the `FoodService Director' periodical on the compensation of school food service operators in the United States. Increase of 3.7 percent in the salaries of women; Industry challenges according to food service executives; Profile of Dennis Barrett, executive director of...
- Asian dishes go mainstream. Pearl, Anita R. // FoodService Director;05/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p90
Focuses on the inclusion of Asian dishes in the menu of school food service facilities in the United States. Information on several popular Asian dishes; Educational campaign for students to learn more about Asian foods.
- Demos fuel Asian's growth. Chater, Amanda // FoodService Director;05/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p92
Offers a look at the display-cook preparation of Asian foods on college and university campuses in the United States. Offerings of several food service facilities; Benefits of display cooking; Oil used in cooking Asian foods.
- An American favorite. Pearl, Anita R. // FoodService Director;2/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p66
Looks at the popularity of beef in the food service operations of various schools in the U.S. as of February 15, 2003. Variety of beef items being offered at schools; Popularity of precooked beef items; Exotic beef selection being offered at the Cambridge School in Weston, Massachusetts.
- Indispensable menu item. Alexis, Jennifer // FoodService Director;2/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p52
Discusses the indispensability of beef in the U.S. school foodservice sector despite mad cow concerns. Favorite food products of children with beef; Appeal of tacos to schoolchildren; Persistence of beef-filled casseroles on menus.
- Fishing for acceptance. Pearl, Anita R. // FoodService Director;04/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p88
Highlights the fish and seafood menus offered at several school food services in the United States. Description of the seafood menus; Demand for fish menus.
- MENU TRENDS: ON-SITE SALES Drivers SANDWICHES. King, Paul // Nation's Restaurant News;6/21/2004, Vol. 38 Issue 25, p36
Reports on the increase in the demand for sandwiches with upscale ingredients in the United States. Efforts of on-site operators to please the increasingly sophisticated palates of customers who want more upscale breads and sandwich ingredients; Sandwich selections at Ashland University's...
- Kids' mainstream favorites. Pearl, Anita R. // FoodService Director;03/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p82
Provides information on the Italian food, including pizza, served in schools across the United States. Cuisine favorites among youngsters; Examples of pasta dishes, pizzas and other Italian food served in schools; Delivery of branded pizza in schools; Recipe of Spaghetti and Meat Sauce.