Toshiba's HD-DVD Going the Way of Betamax
- Round one to Blu-ray. Kemp, Ed // Marketing (00253650);6/27/2007, p17
The article reports on the product competition between the high definition (HD) digital video disc (DVD) of Toshiba and Blu-ray disc of Sony in the Great Britain market. The HD technology has been launched in November 2006 but the Blu-ray disc has been outsold by 111,000 to 54,000 between...
- HD DVD's End Is Fresh Start For Blu-ray. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;2/25/2008, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p1
The article discusses the move of Toshiba to abandon high definition digital video disc (HD DVD) and focus on Blu-ray Disc players. Toshiba made the move because retailers of HD DVD did not support the company. Based on a statement issued by Toshiba, the company will be out of the HD DVD format...
- U.K. DVD SALES UP IN 2008. Ferguson, Tom // Billboard;1/17/2009, Vol. 121 Issue 2, p15
The article reports that DVD sales in Great Britain increased during 2008 as a result of increased demand for high-definition (HD) Blu-ray DVDs. Statistics on the number of total DVD sales and Blu-ray sales in Great Britain during 2008 are provided. According to the article, the music DVD...
- Toshiba, NEC Rally Support For HD-DVD. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;11/24/2003, Vol. 18 Issue 24, p22
Reports on the demonstration of high-definition DVD system by Toshiba and NEC at a press conference in New York City in 2003. Aim of the event; Claims made by supporters of the HD-DVD format.
- HD Formats Stocking Teams For Scrum In 2007. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;1/8/2007, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p100
This article deals with the high-definition optical disc format war in the consumer electronics industry in 2007. For this year, high-definition digital video disc (HD-DVD) developer Toshiba is targeting a market penetration of between 45 million and 46 million U.S. households in the HD...
- Toshiba Unveils Two HD-DVD Disc Options. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;5/23/2005, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p6
This article reports that Toshiba and Warner Home Video (WHV) announced two new types of high-definition DVD prerecorded discs, as of May 2005. The news came amid rumors from Japan that Toshiba and Sony were in talks to develop a unified hybrid high-definition blue-laser optical disc system,...
- Toshiba joins DBS set-top crowd. // Broadcasting & Cable;01/18/99, Vol. 129 Issue 3, p122
Reports on the manufacture of high definition television (HDTV) sets by Toshiba in the United States. Features of HDTV projection models; Price; HDTV set-top converter.
- Toshiba Expands HDTV Assortment. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;08/21/2000, Vol. 15 Issue 19, p28
Reports on Toshiba's expansion of its line of high-definition television (HDTV)-compatible displays and integrated HDTV sets to 14 models from ten in 1999. Digital rear-projection models available; Product description.
- Blu-Ray Zaps Toshiba. // Red Herring;2/19/2008, p6
The article discusses the digital video disc (DVD) format to be used by Toshiba. The company lost the support of key studios and retailers for its opposed high-definition (HD) DVD format. With Blu-ray technology, consumers do not have to choose between rival incompatible formats and run the risk...