Netflix chooses Blu-ray format over HD DVD
- A Fight to the Death. Sutherland, Benjamin // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);2/11/2008 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 151 Issue 6, p36
This article discusses the future of home movies focusing on the battle between high definition DVDs (HD DVD) and Internet downloaded movies. The author discusses how Blu-ray has won the right to succeed conventional DVDs but sales of hard-copy media fell in 2007, making it seem like consumers...
- Netflix Adds Blu-ray Fee. Raphael, J. R. // PCWorld;Dec2008, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p38
This article reports on the decision by the U.S. Web-based video rental service Netflix to introduce a monthly $1 surcharge for customers who rent Blu-ray Disc content rather than DVDs in 2008. According to Netflix, Blu-ray movies are more expensive than standard definition movies. The surcharge...
- HIGH-DEF. // Home Media Magazine;2/2/2009, Vol. 31 Issue 5, p10
Several charts are presented that list the upcoming home video releases, top 20 high-definition films released on Blu-ray format and the top 20 films on high-definition format with high percentage of sales per title versus DVD for the week ended January 25, 2009.
- TOP 5 HIGH-DEF. // Home Media Magazine;3/25/2007, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p10
Several charts are presented that ranked several blu-ray disc and high-definition DVD-released motion pictures in the U.S. for the week that ended March 18, 2007, including "Casino Royale," "The Prestige," and "Babel."
- Determination or Desperation? Arnold, Thomas K. // Home Media Magazine;10/28/2007, Vol. 29 Issue 43, p3
The author reflects on the support being given by film studios to both high-definition digital video disc (HD DVD) and Blu-ray disc formats. He points out that both determination and desperation are motivating the studios' aggressive show of support for the two formats. He emphasizes that...
- Cinram Preps for More Blu-ray Replication. Tribbey, Chris // Home Media Magazine;8/17/2008, Vol. 30 Issue 33, p32
The article reveals that Cinram is preparing for a wave of Blu-ray Disc titles in the fourth quarter of 2008, according to chief executive officer (CEO) Dave Rubenstein. It has also been confirmed by Rubenstein that Cinram will be handling replication duties for "The Dark Knight." The company's...
- HIGH-DEF. // Home Media Magazine;5/4/2009, Vol. 31 Issue 18, p6
Several charts on high-definition media are presented including the films to be launched in Blu-ray format, the top 20 movies launched in Blu-ray discs and the top 20 films in terms of Blu-ray title share.
- Blu-ray shines at Pusan fest. Sunhee, Han // Variety;10/13/2008, Vol. 412 Issue 9, p11
This article discusses the Blu-ray Film Festival held in Pusan, South Korea from October 6-8, 2008 as part of the Pusan Film Festival (PIFF). The event was sponsored by the Blu-ray Disc Association and the Korean Film Council (Kofic). Thirteen films were screened in Blu-ray high-definition (HD)...
- FROM THE DVD RELEASE REPORT. Tribbey, Ralph // Home Media Magazine;9/23/2007, Vol. 29 Issue 38, p6
The article reports on a decline in new DVD releases by film studios in the U.S. from 2005-2007. For the third consecutive year, studios have released fewer new DVD titles during the first eight months of the year. It has been observed that market-makers are doing fewer special-interest items,...