Medical manga comes to America
- Implicating Readers: Tezuka's Early Seinen Manga. HIDEAKI, FUJIKI // Mechademia;2013, Vol. 8, p195
The article considers the historical context for seinen manga of Osamu Tezuka. Seinen manga emerged in response to the maturation of the baby boomers, born in the late 1940s and entering their twenties in the late 1960s. The baby boomer generation grew up in an era of complex transformations...
- Osamu Moet Moso: Imagining Lines of Eroticism in Akihabara. GALBAITH, PATRICK W. // Mechademia;2013, Vol. 8, p279
The article cites the Osamu Moet Moso exhibition which suggests the eroticism of the God of Manga's works and connect it to contemporary Akihabara. Osamu Tezuka has a competitive spirit which meant that he worked in nearly every genre, pioneering some and transforming others. The final message...
- The Cyborg Suite. Bellen, Martine // Conjunctions;2006, Issue 46, p253
The article presents an essay on Japanese manga, cinematic art and narratives that are considered to be an outgrowth of American comics. The author discussed the history of manga and how it has emerged as an emblem of contemporary Japanese culture. He also commented on manga pioneer Osamu Tezuka...
- BUDDHA Volume 1: Kapilavastu (Book). Zaleski, Jeff // Publishers Weekly;1/5/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 1, p42
Reviews the book "Buddha: Kapilavastu," volume 1, by Osamu Tezuka.
- METROPOLIS (Book). Chenoweth, Emily; Zaleski, Jeff // Publishers Weekly;9/22/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 38, p86
Reviews the book "Metropolis," by Osamu Tezuka.
- Pluto. // Publishers Weekly;12/8/2008, Vol. 255 Issue 49, p49
The article reviews the comic book "Pluto," by Naoki Urasawa and Osamu Tezuka.
- Texuka Osamu's Circle of Life: Vitalism, Evolution, and Buddhism. GODART, G. CLINTON // Mechademia;2013, Vol. 8, p34
An essay is presented on the significance of anime and manga as media in dissemination and construction of philosophical ideas in Japan. It focuses on how the conceptualization of cartoonist Tezuka Osamu of life was made through an interaction among ideas of vitalism, evolutionary theory and...
- ODE TO KIRIHITO. Tucker, Hannah // Entertainment Weekly;11/17/2006, Issue 907, p132
The article reviews the paperback comic book "Ode to Kirihito," by Osamu Tezuka.
- Founding father. Richardson, Anna // Design Week;11/12/2009, Vol. 24 Issue 45, p28
The article offers information on artist Osamu Tezuka who was considered as illustrator, animator, designer and entrepreneur in Japan. Tezuka created several animated films and series that includes Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. Author Helen McCarthy described Tezuka's work that influenced...