Battle for Yahoo Heats Up
- Web giants vying for video mastery. Kirsner, Scott // Variety;3/31/2008, Vol. 410 Issue 7, p6
This article discusses competition between companies that host Internet video websites. It notes the difficulty faced by Internet Search company Microsoft, which is considering the purchase of their rival Yahoo to improve their position against rivals Google and Fox/Myspace. It also explores the...
- Rupert Murdoch Is No Yahoo. Marcus, Bennett // New York;5/19/2008, Vol. 41 Issue 18, p25
This article reports on News Corp. head Rupert Murdoch's decision not to buy Yahoo. He is quoted at the Costume Institute gala with his wife, Wendi Deng, as saying it was too expensive. Previously, before Microsoft Corp. abandoned its $47.5 billion bid for Yahoo, Murdoch had considered joining...
- Nets ogle Googles. Fritz, Ben // Variety;1/2/2006, Vol. 401 Issue 7, p39
This article focuses on the performance of Internet companies as of January 2006. It was found that Time Warner spurned an offer from Microsoft, allowing Google to take a percentage of stake in AOL. Details of the acquisitions of News Corp. was provided. It was said that Internet companies are...
- POT, I'D LIKE TO INTRODUCE YOU TO MY FRIEND, KETTLE. // Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealermaker's Journal;Nov2007, Vol. 42 Issue 11, p27
The article reports on the testimony of Microsoft senior vice president Brad Smith before the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on the acquisition of DoubleClick by Google. He stressed the negative effect of the move on advertisers and consumers. The testimony of Google portrays a merger involving two...
- Windows to the future. Steeves, Rich // InsideCounsel;Nov2013, Vol. 24 Issue 263, p54
The article presents the insights of Brad Smith, general counsel at software manufacturer Microsoft Corp., concerning the role of company's acquisition deal with Nokia Corp. in putting Microsoft in the mobile communication industry. Smith says that the acquistion will allow the company to...
- Content & Publishing. // Inter@ctive Week;02/01/99, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p37
Presents news briefs concerning the electronic publishing industry in the United States as of February 1999. Terms of the acquisition deal signed by Yahoo! with News Corp.; Purpose of Broadcast.com in forming a joint venture with Softbank; Agreement of Launch Media to acquire MusicVideos.com.
- money: digest. // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;5/2/2006, Vol. 394 Issue 11, p12
The article offers new briefs related to several companies in the entertainment industry. News Corp.'s Fox Interactive Media unit has completed the acquisitions of two more up-and-coming Web destinations, Newroo Inc. and kSolo.com. Loudeye Corp., a provider of digital media solutions in the...
- Liberty Acquires Voting Stake in News Corp. Higgins, John M. // Broadcasting & Cable;1/26/2004, Vol. 134 Issue 4, p12
Reports on the acquisition of some of the voting stock of News Corp. by Liberty Media in January 2004. Percentage of the stake acquired; Amount invested by Liberty Media on the deal; Speculation on the move.
- THE DIPLOMAT. ATKINS, DREW // Seattle;Nov2014, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p149
The article focuses on professional achievements of Brad Smith, general counsel at technology company Microsoft, who has been selected among the journal's Most Influential People of Seattle, Washington in 2014, and mentions topics like his role in making deals with government agencies.