Pennsylvania's $252 Million of GOs to Fund Capital Plan, Pittsburgh Stadiums
- GAO: Rethink Tax-Exempts for Private Facilities. Schroeder, Peter // Bond Buyer;3/19/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32839, p4
The article presents a report on the use of governmental bonds to finance privately used facilities, such as stadiums, hotels and municipal golf courses, from the Government Accountability Office in the U.S. The report suggests that the Congress should reconsider the utilization of such funds...
- Miami-Dade Officials Weighing Timing of $440M Ballpark Deal. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;6/16/2009, Vol. 368 Issue 33132, p24
The article reports on the consideration of Miami-Dade County officials to price $440 million of revenue bonds in the third week of June 2009 to finance the Florida Marlin's new baseball field. It notes that the retail pricing for the bonds was tentatively scheduled on June 17, but the deal is...
- KANSAS: Wizards Look to STARs. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;1/26/2010, Vol. 371 Issue 33255, p9
The article reports on the 144.5 million dollars of sales tax revenue bonds (STARs) and 85 million dollars in state tax credits which would finance a new soccer stadium and office complex for the Kansas City Wizards in Wyandotte County, Kansas.
- Take me out to the cleaners. // Policy Review;Jul/Aug98, Issue 90, p13
Reports on the insistence of officials in Phoenix, Arizona and Saint Petersburg, Florida to ask funds from its residents for major league baseball team stadiums. Sales tax increase imposed; State where voters resisted the stadium proposal.
- Footing the bill. Cooper, Mary Lou; Cohan, Paul // State Government News;May97, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p6
Discusses whether taxpayers' money should be used in the United States to fund stadium construction. Wrangling among cities, sports franchise owners and citizens over funding; Use of tax breaks to lure sports teams; Controversy over the construction of the Kingdome in Seattle, Washington;...
- Stadium wars. Nawrocki, Tom; McCallum, Jack // Sports Illustrated;04/07/97, Vol. 86 Issue 14, p18
Focuses on stadium-funding proposals in Texas and Tampa, Florida in 1997. Circuit Court Judge Sam Pendino as invalidating the deal between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tampa; How Texas Lieutenant Governor Bob Bullock believes that teams should go about obtaining funds for new stadiums; Support...
- Little support for stadium tax: Poll. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);9/02/96, Vol. 43 Issue 36, p7
Reports that majority of households in New York State are opposed to a tax to help fund new stadiums for New York sports teams, based on a survey by `This Week' periodical.
- Fill it up Exxon Super Arena. Darce, Keith; McClain, Randy // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);5/15/95, Vol. 15 Issue 45, p8
Reports that Superdome Commission member Dave Dixon has proposed the sale to a corporate sponsor the rights to name the planned basketball and hockey arena next to the Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana in order to facilitate the development. Project cost; Other fundraising plans.
- Financing a stadium is tougher than winning a championship. Baar, Aaron // Bond Buyer;09/22/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30235, p4A
Talks about the revenue bonds issued by Milwaukee, Wisconsin for the construction of a baseball stadium for the Brewers. Public ire against giving government aid to rich team owners; Cost of issuing convertible bonds.