THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT
- California questions need for health agency's debt cap. Marois, Michael B. // Bond Buyer;08/24/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30463, p3
Focuses on the bill being considered by state lawmakers aimed at removing the debt cap set in tax-exempt bonds issued by the California Health Facilities Financing Authority. Terms of the bill; Officials' assessment of the demands for bonds; Arguments for and against the bill; Provisions under...
- Entertainment's false promises. Utt, Ronald D. // Fairfield County Business Journal;10/26/98, Vol. 37 Issue 43, p4
Opinion. Comments on the need for tax policy makers to evaluate carefully entertainment-related infrastructure projects in the United States. Introduction of a Senate bill prohibiting communities from issuing tax-exempt bonds to finance construction of sports facilities; Maryland's megaplex...
- Health care reform creates opportunities and challenges. Horn, Brenda S.; Melliere, Michael J. // Indianapolis Business Journal;10/18/93, Vol. 14 Issue 29, The Law Journal p26
Discusses the impact of President Bill Clinton's proposed health care reform package on issuers of tax-exempt bonds. Debt ratings; Integrated delivery systems; Need for flexibility; Financing reform proposals; Tax-exempt financing.
- Bill to Ease Tax-Exempt Housing Bond Issuance Introduced in Senate. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;04/04/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31111, p4
Focuses on the legislation introduced in the United States Senate that would ease some restrictions in the tax code on tax-exempt housing bonds. Potential impact of the legislation on the issuance of single-family mortgage revenue bonds; Key provisions of the bill.
- Congress passes bill allowing tax-exempts for Kennedy Center expansion. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;11/17/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30274, p44
Announces the passage of a federal legislation in Congress in November 1997 allowing the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to use tax-exempt bonds to finance a $35 million expansion of its parking garage and build a large-screen theater. Background on the bill; Terms of the...
- Panel member: Infamous derivatives losses not fault of existing system. Koning, Rachel // Bond Buyer;12/17/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30542, p5
Reports on the statement that municipal derivatives losses in the United States were not due to inadequate regulation but were caused by lack of internal controls. Derivative losses for Long-Term Capital Management; Review of derivatives regulation by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- Head of Arkansas Finance Authority calls for changes in private school bill. Sanders, Lisa // Bond Buyer;03/02/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30589, p4
Focuses on a suggestion by Arkansas Development Finance Authority (ADFA) president Rush Deacon that lawmakers introduce changes to a bill that prohibits the ADFA from issuing tax-exempt bonds for private schools. Agency's plan to issue bonds on behalf of Pulaski Academy in Little Rock,...
- Indiana lawmakers make another pass at NCAA bonding measure. Wisniewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;02/02/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30820, p24
Focuses on a bill being considered by the Indiana legislature in 2000, which would extend the issuing powers of the Indiana Development Finance Authority to allow the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to use tax-exempt debt for working capital needs. Reason for the bill's...
- Avoid Retroactive Bond Bills, NABL Plans to Ask Congress. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;03/24/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30856, p1
Focuses on the letter drafted by a National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL) task force, seeking to discourage members of the United States Congress from introducing bills with retroactive effective dates in order to curb certain tax-exempt bond transactions. Rationale behind the group's...