Employment law checklist
- Crumbling fortress. Podgers, James // ABA Journal;Dec93, Vol. 79 Issue 12, p50
Looks at the growing presence of paralegals who provide basic legal services directly to consumers without the supervision of lawyers in the United States. Threat to lawyer practice; Regulation of nonlawyer practice; Legislative trend recognizing the role for independent paralegals in the...
- Using contractors won't stop race bias claims. // HR Specialist: Pennsylvania Employment Law;Oct2013, Vol. 8 Issue 10, p1
The article discusses the U.S. court case Youry v. Executive Transport which deals with race discrimination for contractual work under Section 1981 of the original Civil Rights Act.
- Paralegals average $14,400 to start, bring profits to firms. Reskin, Lauren Rubenstein // ABA Journal;Dec84, Vol. 70 Issue 12, p52
Reports on the May 1984 survey conducted by Kane Parsons & Associates on paralegal employment in the United States. Percentage of private firms that employ paralegals; Average salary; Law firms that are more likely to hire paralegals.
- Use of paralegals makes good business sense. // American Bar Association Journal;Nov83, Vol. 69 Issue 11, p1626
Presents the results of a survey concerning the employment of paralegals in the U.S. Regions in which paralegals are employed; Law firms that employ paralegals; Length of time paralegals remained with a firm; Duties of a paralegal; Average fee for a paralegal's time.
- Case roundup. Eversheds // Personnel Today;7/16/2002, p15
Reports on two civil procedures in Great Britain. Details on the Southwark London Borough Council versus Afolabi case; Occurrence of racial discrimination; Information on the labor contract case of Albion Automotive Ltd. versus Graham Walker and Others.
- Competition from the unlicensed. // ABA Journal;Dec93, Vol. 79 Issue 12, p56
Presents statistics on lawyers' views on independent practice of paralegals in the United States. Loss of business; Effect of licensing of paralegals on lawyers' businesses; Reasons why people go to paralegals.
- Lower Court Holding. // Supreme Court Debates;Dec2001, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p261
Focuses on decision of the Tenth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals regarding use of race conscious means to remedy effects of racial discrimination. Effect of racial discrimination on market for public contracts; Changes by the U.S. government in implementing race conscious programs in highway...
- Someone in the Bush White House now thinks defending racial preferences is good politics. Chavez, Linda // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;8/13/2001, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p20
Comments on the conduct of the Bush Administration on racial preferences in the U.S. Decision of the Supreme Court on a Department of Transportation program that gave preferential treatment to minority-owned companies; Evidence of actual discrimination in government contracting; Views of...
- Divergent Interests: Union Representation of Individual Employment Discrimination Claims. Widiss, Deborah A. // Indiana Law Journal;Winter2012, Vol. 87 Issue 1, p421
The article offers information on the views of professor Michael Green in symposium titled "Reading Ricci and Pyett to Provide Racial Justice Through Union Arbitration," related to employee discrimination claims. It mentions various benefits offered to employees facing racial discrimination...