Bank faces winter of discontent
- Pay talks open to the usual discord. McHugh, Joseph // Public Finance;12/14/2001-1/10/02, p7
Reports on the rejection of the local government employers on pay negotiations in Great Britain. Appeal of labor unions; Convention of the National Joint Council; Criticism on the bid.
- EXAMINING PERCEPTIONS OF AND PREFERENCES FOR DIFFERENT WAGE SYSTEMS: A JOINT SPACE APPROACH. Soutar, Geoffrey N.; Dufty, Norman F.; Savery, Lawson K. // Australian Journal of Management (University of New South Wales);Jun86, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p97
Abstract: Wage systems have an significant impact on the community and, over the years, a variety of wage policies have been used in Australia. The basic attitudes of political parties, the union movement and employer organisations are well known but public opinion has not been extensively...
- FBU in turmoil as activists reject deal. Day, Karen // Public Finance;3/21/2003, p7
Reports on the effort of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) to persuade members to accept the pay deal in Great Britain. Rejection of the pay deal by FBU activists; Working practices of firefighters; Demand for pay increase by the labor union.
- United we stand, divided we save. Buss, Dale // Automotive Manufacturing Solutions;Mar/Apr2005, p18
Looks at the two-tier wage system accepted by the United Auto Workers union in the U.S. as of March 2005. Coverage of the wage system offered by different automotive companies; Significance of the system to the union according to David Cole, director of the Center for Automotive Research at the...
- Barclays hires DM chief from new roster agency. Kleinman, Mark // Marketing (00253650);1/18/2001, p13
Reports the appointment of Adrian Batt as head of direct marketing for Barclays in Great Britain. Tasks of Batt for the company; Implication for the practice of financial services marketing; Details on the below-the-line roster of the company.
- Meetings of Labor Men. // Labor Law Journal;May53, Vol. 4 Issue 5, p369
Presents news and developments relevant to labor policies and employment practices in the U.S. compiled as of May 1953. Conferences on labor; Mode-of-payment statutes inhibiting wage payments; Record-keeping and reporting methods used by trade-unions. INSET: THE INDIVIDUALIST--RUGGED AND RAGGED.
- Labour faces calls to enforce two-tier code. Day, Karen // Public Finance;
Reports on the growing campaign of unions to undermine local government deal on the two-tier workforce. Allegations that two London boroughs, Westminster and Wandsworth were attempting to parts of the Best Value Code; Effects of the code on workers in outsourced contracts terms and conditions;...
- PM rules out fair wages demand. // PFI Report;Nov2001, Issue 58, p8
Reports that Great Britain Prime Minister Tony Blair assured business leaders that his government will resist union pressure to bring in a fair wages resolution to secure employees' rights. Terms under the resolution on fair wages; Remarks from Blair on issues of employment and regulation;...
- UNION WAGE PRACTICES AND WAGE DISPERSION WITHIN ESTABLISHMENTS. Freeman, Richard B. // Industrial & Labor Relations Review;Oct82, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p3
This study analyzes establishment-level data primarily to examine the effect of unionism on the wage structure within establishments. The major finding is that within-establishment dispersion of wages is significantly narrower in unionized than in nonunionized establishments, a pattern the...