The People vs. Joel Steinberg
- Joel Steinberg Trial: 1988-89. Evans, Colin // Great American Trials;2003, p757
The article discusses a court case wherein Joel Steinberg was charged with murder of his 6-year-old adopted daughter Lisa. The girl was found naked and covered with bruises on November 2, 1987. Since the girl would never recover from the coma, her life-support system was removed. Judge Harold...
- For teachers, reporting abuse is a tough call. Reinhard, Beth // Education Week;04/15/98, Vol. 17 Issue 31, p6
Focuses on the role of teachers in reporting child abuse. Some of the questions raised by teachers who suspected child abuse; Information on child abuse prevention; Major problem encountered by teachers who monitor truancy; The impact of the murder of Lisa Steinberg. INSET: Questions of abuse.
- Finding the Way Home. Jordan, June // Progressive;Feb89, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p15
Reports that people in the United States move out of town every three years. Differences between living in the suburb and in the city; Reaction to the death of Lisa Steinberg, a 6-year-old homeless child; Dedication to the future of the Palestinian people.
- Canceling Hedda's show. Barrett, T. // Newsweek;8/21/1989, Vol. 114 Issue 8, p3
Reports that Hedda Nussbaum, who helped convict her lover Joel Steinberg of the beating death of their illegally adopted daughter, agreed to call off an exhibition of her photographs following threats to the gallery's owner.
- A love betrayed, a brief life lost. Nussbaum, Hedda // People;2/13/89, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p82
Recounts the horrors of Hedda Nussbaum's life with Joel Steinberg, 47, recently convicted of manslaughter in the 1987 death of his six-year-old daughter. Nussbaum, 46, was physically and emotionally abused by Steinberg, her lover, and declared unable to harm or save the girl, Lisa. Story.
- Quality in Life and in Death. Milstein, Richard // ABA Journal;Jan2000, Vol. 86 Issue 1, p108
Urges lawyers in the United States to volunteer to serve as guardians ad litem to children who are victims of abuse. Information on the physical abuse of Ashley Smithson; Issue on the termination of the child's life support system; Experience of the lawyer as a guardian ad litem.
- Family Risk Factors Identified for Fatal Child Mistreatment. ROSE, VERNA L.; STIFFMAN, MICHAEL // American Family Physician;02/15/99, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p969
Discusses the population-based case control study of the North American Primary Care Research Group on the risk of death from mistreatment of a children living with an unrelated adult. Histories of children who had died of mistreatment; Implications of this investigation.
- BABIES IN DANGER. Green, Richard; Fellows, Ron; Dale, Peter // Community Care;3/7/2002, Issue 1412, p34
Discusses some of the findings drawn from the sample of research involving babies who died from injuries in Great Britain. Analysis of cases where young children had been seriously injured and where parental explanations for the injuries were absent; Proportion of fatal injury; Major problems in...
- Lisa Steinberg's Torturers. // National Review;12/30/88, Vol. 40 Issue 25, p19
Comments on the case of Joel Steinberg, who is charged with beating to death his 6-year-old adopted daughter, in the U.S. in 1988. Details of the case; Legal precedents; Implications on the criminal justice system.