Cablevision Unwraps Free Wi-Fi
- Cablevision to Spend $300M on Free Wi-Fi. Medford, Cassimir // Red Herring;5/9/2008, p1
The article announces that cable operator Cablevision plans to build a mesh Wireless-Fidelity (Wi-Fi) network in its coverage area to offer customers free wireless Internet access outside their homes. According to the article, cable operators have struggled with whether they should build their...
- Cable's Place In the Unwired World. Bishop, Don // Multichannel News;11/28/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 49, p29
The article presents opinion on the decision of U.S. cable television networks to launch wireless Internet services. It emphasizes the implications of the launch of wireless Internet services for television broadcasting. It discusses the impact of the development of wireless-fidelity (Wi-Fi) on...
- MESHING THINGS UP. Kuhl, Craig // CED;Apr2006, Vol. 32 Issue 4, Special section p12
The article explores cable operators and municipal service providers' use of wireless mesh technologies as alternative to more traditional, but pricier wireless networks. Mesh networks use 802.11x access points as transmission nodes to provider short-haul connectivity back to centralized...
- CORD-CUTTERS IN THE CITY? SPANGLER, TODD // Multichannel News;9/20/2010, Vol. 31 Issue 35, p2
The article reports on the move of the New York City officials to conduct agreements with the cable companies Time Warner Cable Inc. and Cablevision Systems Corp. on terminating contracts if the cable-television revenue would decline by 2020. The Department of Information Technology &...
- Declarations of Innovation. Schley, Stewart // Multichannel News;8/1/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 31, p26
Presents information on independent cable operator Sunflower Broadband, a newcomer into the wireless fidelity sector. Locations of the wireless hot spots planted by the company in Kansas; Difference of Sunflower from other cable companies; Implication of Sunflower's embrace of digital...
- Wave Broadband Wades Into Wi-Fi. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;9/26/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 40, p67
Reports on the installation of wireless fidelity equipment in the communication systems of Wave Broadband to provide wireless broadband access to subscribers. Benefits of wireless communication systems to the company; Total number of the company's subscribers; Cost of the installation project.
- Cablevision selects Harmonic's NSG. // CED;Sep2001, Vol. 27 Issue 9, p12
Focuses on the selection of the Harmonic Narrowcast Services Gateway (NSG) 8100 to support the video-on-demand (VOD) product from Cablevision System Corp. in New York. Schedule of the launching of the product; Advancement of the integration of VOD and NSG to the cable system operation; Features...
- Cablevision plans 5 percent price hike. Abelson, Ben // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);11/29/2002, Vol. 49 Issue 54, p9A
Reports on Cablevision Systems Corp.'s decision to increase its cable television prices in 2003 in New York State. Higher programming costs; Increased investment in customer service; Changes in channel lineups.
- Cablevision hopes its local programming hooks viewers. Cook, Bob // Crain's Cleveland Business;11/25/96, Vol. 17 Issue 48, p9
Reports that Cablevision Systems Corp. is inserting programming onto its MuchMusic USA music video channel for customers in Cleveland, Ohio. Background information on the company; Program description; Local break-ins on national cable networks.