Virtual Worlds Raking in Money
- Battlestar galleria. Hennen, Leah // Entertainment Weekly;10/29/93, Issue 194, p79
Reports on Disney's plans to open 3-D video-game virtual-reality centers in Los Angeles, Dallas, Hong Kong and Tel Aviv. Paramount's Star Trek-themed virtual reality centers.
- The visionary thing. Burr, Ty; Nashawaty, Chris // Entertainment Weekly;4/28/95, Issue 272, p66
Points out that the future vision of virtual reality has yet to be fulfilled, but looks at how some companies are using the technology in 1995. Virtual reality video games; On-line Multi-User Domains (MUDS); Carnival rides such as Mindblender; Arcade installations like `BattleTech'; The Sega VR...
- ONE PER CENT. // New Scientist;3/10/2012, Vol. 213 Issue 2855, p25
The article offers news briefs as of March 10, 2012 on topics including the video game "Snake," a prototype video game controller, and a video game, called "Outerra," with a three-dimensional virtual planet.
- BUILD A PC FOR OCULUS RIFT. // APC (Future Publishing Ltd.);Xmas 2014, Issue 410, p78
The article offers step-by-step instructions for upgrading a gaming personal computer (PC) in order to play the Oculus Rift virtual reality (VR) video game.
- Investors Pour $184M into Virtual Worlds. Schachter, Ken // Red Herring;4/25/2008, p1
The article presents the results of a survey by Virtual Worlds Management, which found that more than $184 million was funneled to 23 companies that run virtual worlds in the first quarter. By far, the largest investment was a reported $100 million investment into 9you.com, a virtual world run...
- Living under attack in a one-dimensional virtual world. Faella, O.; De Luca, R. // Caderno Brasileiro de Ensino de FÃsica;Jul-Sep2015, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p3304-1
We present a kinematics problem in the framework of a videogame. Students are asked to find possible extensions of a safety zone on the x-axis to the right of an indestructible defense wall of height h placed at x = d in which the point-like balls, fired by strange attackers from the origin O of...
- Editorial. Ayiter, Elif; Sharir, Yacov // Metaverse Creativity;2014, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p3
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including modalities of art in virtual worlds, literature review in virtual environment design and storytelling in video games.
- The imagination and the imaginary in games and virtual worlds. Maccallum-Stewart, Esther; Doyle, Denise // Journal of Gaming & Virtual Worlds;2010, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p95
This special issue of Journal of Gaming and Virtual Worlds seeks to demonstrate the potential for depth and broadness of interpretation within one single concept, and to present a variety of articles that interpret this theme in different ways. The Imagination and the role of Imaginary, a topic...
- Wii and the Formation of My Avatar Identity. Paley, Nicholas // Journal of Visual Literacy;Spring2008, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p108
This scholarly rumination documents a university teacher's initial encounters with Wii, the home game/entertainment system designed and distributed by Nintendo. In these encounters, Wii is considered as an opportunity that provokes creative possibilities for shaping and becoming part of the...