Houston Lawmakers Offer Mayor a Property Tax Compromise
- TEXAS: Brown, Again. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;12/4/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31277, p29
Reports on the election of Lee Brown as the Mayor for Houston, Texas for the third term. Margins obtained by Brown in the Mayoral elections.
- Houston's First Black Mayor, Lee Brown, Wins A Third Term. // Jet;12/17/2001, Vol. 101 Issue 1, p4
Reports that Lee Brown was re-elected as mayor of Houston, Texas, and how he defeated Hispanic candidate Orlando Sanchez.
- Houston's Lee P. Brown. Chappell, Kevin; Cobb, Vandell // Ebony;Jan1999, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p96
Profiles Houston, Texas Mayor Lee P. Brown. Personal and political background of Brown; Some of his accomplishments; Comments from Brown.
- Houston mayoral race. Gizzi, John // Human Events;10/31/97, Vol. 53 Issue 41, p16
Focuses on the competition in the 1997 mayoral election in Houston, Texas between Robert Mosbacher and Lee Brown. Observers' perception that Mosbacher has the advantage; Meetings with state politicians.
- Houston Mayor Puts Budget on Hold for Further Revision. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;05/05/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30885, p3
Reports on the agreement of Houston, Texas Mayor Lee Brown to postpone the final vote for the local 2001 budget. Outline of revisions planned for the budget; Proposals to hire an outside consultant to determine a more conservative budget estimate.
- Lee Brown elected Houston's first black mayor. // Jet;12/22/97, Vol. 93 Issue 5, p4
Reports that Lee P. Brown became the first black mayor of Houston, Texas in December 1997. Brown's work as the former drug policy chief for President Bill Clinton; The importance of the election.
- Brown elected first Black mayor of Houston. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;12/11/97, Vol. 88 Issue 50, p4
Features Lee Patrick Brown, the first African-American to be elected as mayor in Houston, Texas. Comments of former mayor Rudy Giuliani on Brown; Other comments on Brown's victory.
- LOCAL: New Houston Police Chief Is Progressive, Black. // Advocate;4/29/82, Issue 341, p10
Reports that the Houston City Council in Houston, Texas, has approved the controversial appointment of progressive Afro-American Lee Brown as the city's chief of police. Council members who opposed Brown's confirmation; Houston gay activists' hope that his appointment will ease bitter...
- Houston Candidate Fighting Mayor's Proposed Tax Hike. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;05/29/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31148, p4
Reports that Houston, Texas, Councilman and mayoral candidate, Chris Bell, has asked council members to sign a petition rejecting a property tax increased proposed by Mayor Lee Brown. Aim of using tax proceeds to hire firefighters; Unanimous vote made by the council to ask Brown to come up with...