Circuit City Slashes Stores on Economy
- Circuit City faces closings, buyout bid. Heller, Laura // DSN Retailing Today;2/28/2005, Vol. 44 Issue 4, p3
Reports on the buyout offer to the retailer Circuit City Stores Inc. in the U.S. Cost cutting initiatives of the company; Increase in the stock prices of the firm; Closure of several stores of the company.
- CIRCUIT CITY TO CUT 155 STORES. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Magazine;11/9/2008, Vol. 30 Issue 44, p8
The article reports on the decision of Circuit City Stores to close a total of 155 stores in the U.S. The company also decided to set aside future store expansion and renegotiate select leases. Store closures would mean laying off 17% of its 46,000-person workforce. Closures will take place in...
- Unkind Cuts. White, Slaton L. // SHOT Business;Jan2009, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p4
The author comments on the cost-control initiatives of some firearms manufacturers in the U.S. The author relates the frustration expressed by some firearms retailers regarding the lack of firearms to sell due to the decision of some firearms manufacturers to cut back production. The author...
- Circuit City files for bankruptcy. // Retail Construction Magazine;Nov/Dec2008, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p12
The article reports that Circuit City Stores has filed for bankruptcy protection in mid-November 2008. According to its Chapter 11 filing with the U.S. bankruptcy court in Richmond, Virginia, it will continue to do business and pay its workers while it restructures debt and its business...
- Circuit City's Christmas Grinch. Sokol, David // Shopping Center World;Dec2002, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p10
Reports on the forecast of a loss of five cents to eight cents per share for the December quarter by electronics retailer Circuit City Stores Inc. in the U.S. Growth of store sales for the period; Consumer buying pattern; Reaction of consumers on conversations about flat-screen televisions.
- Circuit City Ends Commissions, Cuts Jobs. Wolf, Alan // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;2/10/2003, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p1
Reports on the efforts of consumer electronics company Circuit City Stores Inc. to reduce costs. Adoption of hourly pay structure; Termination of commissioned staffers; Recruitment of third sales manager to 400 stores; Decision to remodel and relocate stores.
- Commercial real estate market glut may grow as retailer liquidates. Robison, Jennifer // Las Vegas Business Press (10712186);1/26/2009, Vol. 26 Issue 4, pP14
The article reports on electronics retailer Circuit City Stores' decision to liquidate its holdings in Las Vegas, Nevada. The closure of Circuit City would translate to the vacancy of approximately 150,000 square feet of retail space. Las Vegas' vacancy rate has increased from less than 3% in...
- Circuit City to shutter four LI stores. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);11/7/2008, Vol. 55 Issue 55, p12A
The article reports that Circuit City, an electronics retailer, will close four of its stores located in Long Island, New York. The decision is part of the retailer's plan to close 155 stores in the United States. According to the article, Circuit City will reduce its workforce by 17 percent....
- Circuit City Gets Financing as Same-Store Sales Plummet. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Magazine;12/28/2008, Vol. 30 Issue 52, p6
This article reports on the court approval received by bankrupt Circuit City Stores for debtor-in-possession financing in December 2008. The financing would allow the U.S. consumer electronics chain to maintain operations and pay vendors, employees and related expenses. Circuit City has not...