Big Losses Made P&C Insurers Say No to Munis, But the Tide May Be Turning
- Munis Weakened as Citizens Sale Postponed. Scarchilli, Michael; Herman, Jack // Bond Buyer;5/30/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32889, p2
The article reports on the weak performance of the municipal market in the U.S. The municipal market weakened as of May 30, 2008 as the citizens sale was postponed. Goldman, Sachs & Co. delayed a planned $1.5 billion sale of senior-secured bonds for Citizens Property Insurance Corp. Moreover,...
- Will Hurricane-Weary Insurers Abandon Munis? Fine, Jacob // Financial Planning;Oct2004, Vol. 34 Issue 10, p30
Discusses the influence of hurricanes on the demand for municipal bonds by property and casualty insurers (P&C) in Florida. Estimated losses suffered by P&C insurers due to Hurricane Andrew; Market implication of the level of profitability of municipal bonds; Plan of insurers to liquidate...
- Results of Negotiated Sales. // Bond Buyer;07/06/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30926, p18
Presents the results of negotiated sales of municipal bonds in the United States, compiled as of July 3, 2000. Single family mortgage revenue bonds from the Alabama Housing Finance Authority in Alabama; Refunding revenue bonds from First Florida Governmental Financing Commission in Florida;...
- Results of Competitive Sales. // Bond Buyer;07/06/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30926, p25
Presents the results of competitive sales of municipal bonds in the United States, compiled as of July 3, 2000. General obligation bond anticipation notes from the City of New Milford in Connecticut; Public improvement serial bonds from the City of Schenectady in New York; Bond anticipation...
- Led by low rates, Georgia agency's big refunding tops primary. Ring, Niamh // Bond Buyer;07/11/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30185, p1
Reports on developments in the municipal bond market in the United States, compiled as of July 10, 1997. Includes news on the $399.2 million refunding from the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia; Scant selling by investors in the secondary market; Flatness of the debt futures market; J.P....
- Bid lists deluge caps muni action despite modest treasury gains. Louis, Brian // Bond Buyer;08/14/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30209, p1
Reports on the performance of municipal bond market as of August 13, 1997. Gains of 30-year Treasury bonds; Retail sales; Tax-exempt bonds; Producer price index; Serial bonds.
- Retail reader's guide. // Bond Buyer;08/14/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30209, p7
Presents municipal bond market figures current as of August 12, 1997. Triple-A; Pre-tax equivalent; Treasuries; Florida yield curve.
- Market statistics. Lulkovich, Joan // Bond Buyer;08/14/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30209, p32
Reports on the status of the municipal bond market as of August 14, 1997. Market indicators; United States securities prices; Short-term tax-exempt yields; Municipal market data general obligation yields; One-year note index; Visible supply declines; New-issue balances; Futures markets.
- Muni bond funds facing obstacles. Polyak, Ilana // Bond Buyer;11/17/97 Supplement Florida, Vol. 322, p12A
Focuses on the status of the municipal bond market in Florida as of 1997. Trends indicating market emphasis on bond structure; Impact of bond insurance on the state's municipal bond business; Comments from state-based brokers.