Russian Case Next on List of Foreign Suits Against Tobacco
- Legal imaginations stretching liability to unreasonable limits. Kirsch, Michael // Crain's Cleveland Business;07/12/99, Vol. 20 Issue 28, p11
Focuses on lawsuits related to tobacco liability for second hand smoke in the United States. Decision of a Mississippi jury against a barber; Creative liability theory.
- Passing the megabucks. // New Scientist;06/28/97, Vol. 154 Issue 2088, p3
Editorial. Ponders on the laxity of the settlement agreed upon by the United States government and the nation's tobacco industry to pay for the treatment of illnesses caused by smoking, to settle lawsuits against the industry and to fund anti-smoking campaigns. Spreading of payments over the...
- Ifs, ands, or butts of tobacco settlement. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;4/21/97, Vol. 89 Issue 101, p4
Presents information on the lawsuit brought against tobacco companies Philip Morris, RJR Nabisco, Lorillard and Brown and Williamson, by 23 states in America, for the cost of medical care to smokers. Reference to William Novelli of the Washington-based Center for Tobacco Free Kids, one of the...
- Big Tobacco after biggest jury award. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;7/17/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 164, p1
Reports on litigation in the United States involving individuals and classes of people against the tobacco industry.
- Fighting big tobacco. // Current Events;10/22/99, Vol. 99 Issue 7, p2
Reports a news cartoon about the lawsuit filed by the United States Justice Department against the country's major tobacco companies.
- Government-backed suits face uncertain future: Panel. Hofmann, Mark A. // Business Insurance;07/05/99, Vol. 33 Issue 27, p2
Reports that speakers in a discussion at the United States Chamber of Commerce warned of the uncertain future of government-sponsored liability litigation against tobacco firms. Governments' suing of industries' other industries for the recovery of funds for damage; Necessity of the proposed...
- Federal lawsuit is an affront to businesses. Pinkus, David // Fort Worth Business Press;10/22/99, Vol. 12 Issue 26, p25
Criticizes the United States federal government's policy towards the tobacco industry. Impact of the government's lawsuit against the tobacco firms on small businesses and taxpayers; Implications of driving down legal sales of tobacco on the industry and businesses.
- Federal lawsuit is next test for Big Tobacco. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;9/23/99, Vol. 91 Issue 209, p2
Reports on the potential impact the United States federal government lawsuit against the tobacco industry as it attempts to recover smoking related health costs.
- Bearing witness for tobacco. Maggi, Laura // American Prospect;3/27/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p23
Investigates the role of expert testimonies brought by the tobacco companies in tobacco-related lawsuits in the United States. Defense of the tobacco industry to claims made using undisclosed industry documents; Fees received by expert witnesses who testify on the side of the industry;...