Pending Court Ruling Does Not Slow Tacoma Bridge Financing Plans
- Why did bridge rock, roll... and collapse? // Current Science;11/30/90, Vol. 76 Issue 7, p7
Presents a new theory concerning the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows bridge in Washington State fifty years ago, proposed by American mathematicians, Joseph McKenna and Alan Lazer. Past theories; Loosening-tightening theory. INSET: How bridge began rocking..
- Washington State debates increasing Narrows traffic. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;8/9/93, Vol. 231 Issue 6, p17
Reports on the plans to being proposed to accommodate increasing traffic in the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Tacoma, Washington across Puget Sound. Double decking the bridge; Bridge widening; Construction of a parallel bridge; Opposition from residents.
- Tacoma Narrows Bridge. // Elevator World;Oct2007, Vol. 55 Issue 10, p192
Several images of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge renovation and additions project are presented.
- Delay for Bridge Opening. Cohen, Jackie // Bond Buyer;5/12/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32380, p33
The article reports that the opening of the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington will delay for three months. Replacing corroded cabling during the winter led to delays in construction, according to the state Department of Transportation. Once the new bridge opens, the existing span will...
- $900M Tacoma Narrows Bridge Project Hangs in Limbo. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;2/28/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31334, p41
Reports on the approval of multimillion dollar Tacoma Narrows Bridge project by the Washington Senate on February 27, 2002. Overview of the bill; Speculation over the source of financing of the project; Possible utilization of sales bonds for the project.
- Galloping Gertie and Murphy's Law. Bortz, Fred // Odyssey;Mar95, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p4
Comments on the origin of `Murphy's Law' and applies its message to lessons learned from the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Why the bridge was nicknamed `Galloping Gertie'; Observations of the bridge by University of Washington Engineering Professor Burt Farquharson; How he filmed the bridge on...
- Still Twisting. Petroski, Henry // American Scientist;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p398
Focuses on the 1940 collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington. Description of the structure; Debate drawn by the incident; Implications for mathematics and engineering studies.
- The Tacoma Narrows (WA) Bridge Disaster. // World Kid;Apr2003, Vol. 5, pWK12
Discusses the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Tacoma, Washington in 1940. Wind damages to the bridge; Absence of aerodynamic design; Nickname of the bridge.
- Predicting Disaster. Petroski, Henry // American Scientist;Mar/Apr93, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p110
Focuses on the circumstances leading up to a number of historic bridge failures. Patterns in the evolution of the design of such structures that might warn against future disasters; Disasters involving the Dee Bridge in Cheshire, England, Tay Bridge in Dundee, Scotland, Quebec Bridge in Quebec...