A Fitting Tribute
- Flying the P-38 lightning. Ethell, Jeff // Model Airplane News;Sept97, Vol. 125 Issue 9, p44
Features the P-38 lightning airplane created by Lockheed. Features of the plane; Design of the plane; Factors which attribute to the accidents experienced by the P-38; Details on other planes which were created by Lockheed. INSETS: Lockheed P-38L Lightning.;Following in the footsteps.;Pruett's...
- P-38 brings big bucks. Behm, F.G. // Flying;Aug90, Vol. 117 Issue 8, p26
Reports on the auction of a flyable Lockheed P-38L Lightning at the Museum of Flying Auction. Retired Maj. Gen. William Lyon, U.S. Air Force, bid highest at $1.55 million.
- Cheering Vision and Grit. Garvey, William // Business & Commercial Aviation;Dec2002, Vol. 91 Issue 6, p9
Focuses on the need to recognize and applaud people who make business aviation better and highlights the role of the Greenland Expedition Society in it. People who watched the fighter plane Lightning fly at the Middlesboro Airport; Pilot who flew the plane; Year in which the search for the lost...
- P-38 lightning. Scott, Bill // Model Airplane News;Sept97, Vol. 125 Issue 9, p54
Presents information on the P-38 lightning model airplane. Features of the plane; Design of the plane; Who created the plane; Inspiration for the creation of the plane. INSETS: Specifications.;Flight performance..
- F-35C Conducts First Detachment Visit at NAS Lemoore. // Naval Aviation News;Summer2015, Vol. 97 Issue 2, p13
The article reports on the six-day visit of two F-35C Lightning II aircraft from the Grim Reapers of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 101, based at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida to future basing site Naval Air Station Lemoore, California, in April 2015.
- Glacier Girl flies again. Fildes, Jonathan; Williams, Caroline // New Scientist;12/22/2001, Vol. 172 Issue 2322/2323, p58
Reports the repair and reconstruction of a World War II P-38 Lightning fighter plane in the United States. Account of the emergency landing of a squadron of US warplanes on the Greenland ice cap in 1942; Recovery of one of the warplanes fifty years later; Effort of J. Roy Shoffner in locating...
- Flying Jets. Keenan, Ted // Finance Week;4/29/2002, p67
Reports the availability of jet plane adventure rides in South Africa. Reference to the use of the jet fighter Lightning for the rides; Cost of the ride; Inclusion of survival and ejection seat training and relevant equipment.
- BABY P-38. Wilkinson, Stephan // Aviation History;May2010, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p9
The article discusses the pilot Jim O'Hara and the two-thirds-scale operating replica of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning airplane that he designed and constructed.
- AERO POSTER. // Aviation History;May2014, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p66
An image of a 1942 magazine advertisement for Lockheed Aircraft Corporation focusing on its P-38 Lightning fighter plane is presented.