Incidence of and Risk Factors for Complications Associated with Halo-Vest Immobilization: A Prospective, Descriptive Cohort Study of 239 Patients
- Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Using an Unilateral Cage: A Prospective Study of Clinical Outcome and Stability. Seok Ki Lee; Seok Won Kim; Chang Il Ju; Sung Myung Lee; Myung Hoon Kim // Korean Journal of Spine;2014, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p52
Objective: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical and radiological results of instrumented posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF) using an unilateral cage. Methods: Seventeen patients with unilateral radiculopathy who underwent bilateral percutaneous screw fixation with a...
- Clinical digest. Trial proves apremilast is effective long-term treatment for psoriasis. // Nursing Standard;10/10/2012, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p14
The article discusses research in the article "Efficacy of Apremilast in the Treatment of Moderate to Severe Psoriasis: A Randomised Controlled Trial" by K. Papp et al. which found that the drug apremilast is effective for the long term treatment of psoriasis.
- Clinical digest. Evidence supports wider use of tranexamic acid in traumatic bleeding. // Nursing Standard;10/10/2012, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p15
The article discusses research in the article "Effect of Tranexamic Acid on Mortality in Patients With Traumatic Bleeding: Prespecified Analysis of Data From Randomised Controlled Trial" by I. Roberts et al. which found that tranexamic acid is safe and effective in treating traumatic bleeding.
- Clinical digest. Most people treated for schizophrenia experience no lasting improvements in health. // Nursing Standard;4/18/2012, Vol. 26 Issue 33, p14
The article discusses research which was published in the article "Sustained Favourable Long-Term Outcome in the Treatment of Schizophrenia: A 3-Year Prospective Observational Study" by G Cuyun Carter et al. and found that most people treated for schizophrenia experience no lasting improvements...
- PERSPECTIVE. Hee Kit Wong // Orthopedics Today;Jul2011, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p26
The author comments on the study by Miyako Suzuki wherein Suzuki found that, in determining whether using local bone graft is as effective as iliac crest bone graft in case of L4 degenerative spondylolisthesis, there are fusion rates of 90% and 85%, respectively, in single-level instrumented cases.
- Clinical digest. Surgery for epilepsy can enhance patients' overall long-term quality of life. // Nursing Standard;3/7/2012, Vol. 26 Issue 27, p18
The article discusses research which was reported in the article "Impact of Epilepsy Surgery on Seizure Control and Quality of Life: A 26-Year Follow-Up Study" by H. S. Mohammed et al and found that surgery for epilepsy can enhance patientsâ€™ overall long-term quality of life.
- Emergency Brake Response Time After First Metatarsal Osteotomy. Holt, G.; Kay, M.; McGrory, R.; Kumar, C. S. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Aug2008, Vol. 90-A Issue 8, p1660
Background: There is sparse information upon which to recommend a return to activity after foot surgery. The purpose of this study was to determine whether six weeks is sufficient time for the emergency brake response time to return to preoperative levels after a first metatarsal osteotomy for...
- Cementing Techniques for Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty: Development of a Laboratory Model. Bitsch, Rudi G.; Loidolt, Travis; Heisel, Christian; Schmalzried, Thomas P. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Aug2008 Supplement 3, Vol. 90-A, p102
Background: Hip resurfacing is extremely technique-sensitive, yet scientific investigations into cementing techniques are lacking. In this study, we tested open-cell, reticulated, carbon-foam materials in comparison with paired human femoral heads to validate a laboratory cementing model for...
- Comparison of Arthrodesis and Metallic Hemiarthroplasty of the Hallux Metatarsophalangeal Joint. Raikin, Steven M.; Ahmad, Jamal // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Oct2008 Supplement 2, Vol. 90-A, p171
BACKGROUND: Currently, arthrodesis is the most commonly performed surgical procedure for the treatment of severe arthritis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint. The objective of this study was to compare the long-term clinical and radiographic outcomes of a metallic hemiarthroplasty with those...