NEWS ON THE WEB
- The Mailbag. Lessack, Susan K. // HR Specialist: Pennsylvania Employment Law;Oct2011, Vol. 6 Issue 10, p8
The article presents questions an answers related to human resource management in the U.S. including unauthorized overtime, the perils in giving a pay raise to boost employee performance and terminating an employee who has been called to jury duty.
- A time for buy-in. Whitehead, Mark // People Management;6/3/1999, Vol. 5 Issue 11, p54
Details the problems and challenges facing Mark and Spencer company in Great Britain. Redundancy of positions in the company; Commitment of the company to equal opportunities; Discussion on the strategies the company is employing to solve and address the problems and challenges.
- M&S' new performance strategy starts to sow the seeds of recovery. // Personnel Today;5/21/2002, p3
Reports the restructuring of the human resource team of Marks & Spencer in Great Britain. Integration of employee into the business; Development of talent and capabilities; Recruitment and retention of skilled workers.
- MINIMIZING THE RISK IN TERMINATIONS. Seawright, Jean L. // Greenhouse Management;Aug2015 Supplement Produce Grower, p19
The article recommends safeguards against firing or terminating employees in a business.
- Q&A. // Managing People at Work;1/1/2015, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p4
The article presents employment-related questions and answers including whether employers are obliged to pay overtime to employees dealing with email and voice mail, whether employers can send home workers with flu symptoms, and whether it is legal to fire a homebased employee through email.
- Thrill of the purchase. Rana, Eila; Crabb, Steve // People Management;1/10/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p26
Presents information on the fall and rise of retailer Marks and Spencer (M&S). M&S as the most profitable retailer in Great Britain in 1998; Remarks from M&S human relations director Helena Feltham; Information on the change program of M&S. INSETS: DOWNTURN? WHAT DOWNTURN?;THE ACADEMIC'S...
- COBRA, Evasive Poor Performers, Illegal Workers. Levine, Deb; Maingault, Amy; Lacy, Diane // HR Magazine;Mar2007, Vol. 52 Issue 3, p41
The article presents questions and answers related to personnel management in the U.S. One question concerns the coverage of an employee's Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) health plan. An employer inquires about his options to terminate an employee who is unable or...
- What should an employer do when an employee admits he used false identification to obtain his job? // HR Magazine;Jan2014, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p16
The article presents questions and answers related to human resource management including what employers should do to an employee who admit submitting false identification and how best to compensate an employee for lost overtime pay when his classification changes from nonexempt to exempt.
- Creating a Layoff Survival Kit. Scanlan, Ann // Intercom;Apr2004, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p14
Discusses the strategies to be able to survive job layoffs. Revisions that must be made to your resumes; Research on the job market in preparation for the future; Establishment of a network of contacts.