Discrimination verdict extends protection
- PRO-RATA BONUSES? MAYBE, BABY. Whiteley, Nicola // People Management;5/4/2006, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p20
The article focuses on the ruling of the Court of Session of the British Employment Appeals Tribunal on a case involving an employee and Asda Stores regarding the calculation of bonuses of employees on maternity leave in Great Britain. The court disagreed to the argument of the employee who...
- Shades of meaning. O'Brien, Christine // People Management;2/17/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p27
Explores indirect sex discrimination claims of employees as in the case of Sykes versus JP Morgan. Arguments of Sykes, the claimant; Decision of the tribunal on the case; Reasons behind the tribunal's decision.
- Employees Gain Upper Hand In Discrimination Cases. Jackson, Liane // Corporate Legal Times;Sep2003, Vol. 13 Issue 142, p58
Reports on the lawsuit filed by Catharina Costa, an employee against her employer Caesars Palace for gender discrimination in the U.S. Role of plaintiff's gender in the employment decision of the court; Establishment of a discriminatory intent on the part of an employer; Details on the burden...
- Supreme Court considers funding for port fight. Hainsworth, Jeremy // Xtra (Toronto);4/27/2006, Issue 561, p9
Reports on the decision of the Canadian Supreme Court to reserve its judgment on whether Vancouver's Little Sister's bookstore will receive advanced court costs to continue its battle against book seizures by the Canadian border police. Background on the case; Arguments raised by defense lawyer...
- TAX CASES. // Accountancy Ireland;Jun2001, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p57
Presents several tax-related cases in Europe. Decision on the case involving Card Protection Plan Ltd. by the European Court of Justice (ECJ); Judgement of the Halifax PLC case by the Great Britain Value Added Tax and Customs Tribunal; Confirmation of the compulsory service charges levied by...
- Diego Garcians win judicial review. // Community Care;4/21/2005, Issue 1569, p11
Reports that a group of people who were forced by the British government to leave their homes on the island of Diego Garcia have won permission to mount a High Court challenge for the right to housing and benefits in the country. Reason behind the move of the group in 1971; Argument of the...
- It's the way that you do it. Pemble, Stuart // Estates Gazette;9/7/2002, Issue 236, p145
Presents information on the cases Godwin vs. Swindon Borough Council and Anderton vs. Clwyd County Council on the servicing of claims. Details of the cases; Court's decision on the cases.
- LEGAL CHECKLIST. // People Management;6/13/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 12, p19
Presents several legal cases on personnel management in Great Britain as of June 2002. Case of Johnson versus Unisys on unfair dismissal of employment; Social equality of the sexes in the workplace; Lawsuit on disability discrimination claim.
- LEGAL CHECKLIST. // People Management;8/12/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 16, p17
Details several labor cases in Great Britain. Disability discrimination; Unfair dismissal; Sex discrimination.