Respiratory Movement Patterns During Vocalizations at 7 and 11 Months of Age
- DAY 12: TO DO: Tracing the ribs, working alone. // Bodystories: A Guide to Experiential Anatomy;2004, p59
The article offers step-by-step instructions for tracing the ribs with the fingers while breathing.
- SCALENE SCUTTLEBUTT. Crane, Lois; Cael, Christy // Massage & Bodywork;Sep/Oct2012, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p15
A letter is presented in response to the article "Scalenes" by Christy Cael in the May/June issue.
- Breathing Pattern and Ventilatory Control in Chronic Tetraplegia. Spungen, Ann M.; Bauman, William A.; Lesser, Marvin; McCool, F. Dennis // Lung;Nov/Dec2009, Vol. 187 Issue 6, p375
Blunted ventilatory responses to carbon dioxide indicate that respiratory control is impaired when ventilation is stimulated in individuals with tetraplegia; however, respiratory control during resting breathing has not been extensively studied in this population. Our objective was to evaluate...
- Body Science. Barrow, Caroline // Positive Health;Jul2007, Issue 137, p40
The article discusses the relevance of the diagram in the normal function of the respiratory system. The diaphragm is a respiratory organ that attaches around the bottom of the rib cage from behind the xiphoid process. It is made of skeletal muscles and its function is to facilitate breathing,...
- Proposition and Evaluation of a Novel Method Based on Videogrammetry to Measure Three-Dimensional Rib Motion During Breathing. Sarro, Karine Jacon; Silvatti, Amanda Piaia; Aliverti, Andrea; Barros, Ricardo M. L. // Journal of Applied Biomechanics;Aug2009, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p247
A novel method based on kinematical analysis is proposed to describe the three-dimensional motion of the ribs during breathing. The three-dimensional coordinates of markers on the ribs and vertebrae were used to calculate the orientation of the ribs as a function of time. A test measured the...
- Coordination between ribs motion and thoracoabdominal volumes in swimmers during respiratory maneuvers. Sarro, Karine J.; Silvatti, Amanda P.; Barros, Ricardo M. L. // Journal of Sports Science & Medicine;Jun2008, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p195
This work aimed to verify if swimmers present better chest wall coordination during breathing than healthy non-athletes analyzing the correlation between ribs motion and the variation of thoracoabdominal volumes. The results of two up-to-date methods based on videogrammetry were correlated in...
- Respiration. // American Medical Association Family Medical Guide;2004, p633
The article focuses on the respiratory processes in human beings. When humans breathe, the muscles between his ribs may also contract and pull the rib cage upward and outward, expanding and drawing air into the lungs. The breathing rate is determined by the amount of carbon dioxide released from...
- Common Problems: Simple Exercises Can Improve Your Breathing. // Mayo Clinic Guide to Self-Care;2005, p110
Presents tips for performing simple breathing exercises. Use of abdominal muscles to control the emptying of the lungs; Diaphragmatic breathing; Pursed-lip breathing; Deep-breathing exercise.
- Turn Your Workout Upside Down. Carlson, Caitlin // Women's Health;Oct2013, Vol. 10 Issue 8, p74
The article provides information on inversion therapy. According to the article, inversion therapy, which is used in yoga classes as well as chiropractic treatment, has been credited with removing back pain, improves breathing while running and helps in sculpting flatter abdominal muscles. The...