Lack of competition
- Get the Best Drugsâ€”for Less. // Consumer Reports on Health;Mar2016, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p2
The article reports on a survey by "Consumer Reports" magazine on the increase in medication costs in the U.S. as of March 2016 including the average amount being spent by participants for medication, percentage who had to make difficult financial choices, and money-saving strategies.
- Pharmaceutical companies must adapt to changing market dynamics in 2008. // PharmaWatch: Monthly Review;May2008, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p24
The article discusses the move of U.S. pharmaceutical companies to adopt strategies to conform to changing market dynamics in 2008. Companies face growing competition from generics and restrictions on healthcare spending which threaten their revenues. As a result, they are adopting strategies to...
- The Path Towards Continuous Processing. Malhotra, Girish // Pharmaceutical Processing;Aug2010, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p16
The article focuses on the global pharmaceutical industry in which the author is presenting his observations of the circumstances that can improve manufacturing technologies, revenues and profits. It mentions the conditions of international market in which generic drugs are continuously...
- West Virginia. // State News (Council of State Governments);Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p23
Discusses the effort of West Virginia's state government to control rising cost while maintaining quality health care for public sector health insurance plans through the Accessible Intelligent Medication Strategies (AIMS). Role of registered pharmacists and physicians in implementing AIMS;...
- Growth in prescription drug spending slows. Johnson, Linda A. // Chicago Citizen - South Suburban Edition;4/27/2011, Vol. 30 Issue 25, p4
The article reports that spending for prescription drugs in the U.S. grew at a slower rate with a 2.3 percent increase in spending by Americans and their insurers for prescription drugs in 2010 as compared to a 5.1 percent increase in 2009.
- Critiquing drug ads. Sandroff, Ronni // Consumer Reports on Health;Jan2008, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p2
The author reflects on the impact of prescription drug advertisements on the prescription drug expenditures of patients in the U.S. The author mentions about the Consumer Reports (CR) Best Buy Drugs, a public education program that offers strategies for reducing prescription drug costs. It was...
- Medicines management. Griffiths, Matt // Nursing Standard;1/7/2015, Vol. 29 Issue 19, p30
Patients can get help with prescription charges. Matt Griffiths explains how to advise them.
- The uses and abuses of cost-effectiveness analysis. Goozner, Merril // Modern Healthcare;8/11/2014, p0026
The article offers the author's insights on the use and abuse of the cost-effectiveness analysis on Sovaldi drug developed by Gilead Sciences. Topics mentioned include the potential to reduce the long-term healthcare cost, the treatment for hepatitis C infection, and the studies on...
- The All-Payer Rate Setting Model for Pricing Medical Services and Drugs. Anderson, Gerard; Herring, Bradley // AMA Journal of Ethics;Aug2015, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p770
The article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of alternative models for medical services and drugs pricing including the Common Payment Method and Resource-Based Relative Value Scale (RBRVS) payment system used by the Medicare program for physicians, and the All-Payer Rate Setting.