Many Possibilities, Few Certainties, With School Funding
- Ark. voters consider finance fix amid full court pressure. Archer, Jeff // Education Week;10/30/96, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p16
Reports that voters in Arkansas will decide on a constitutional amendment allowing the state to redistribute local property taxes from wealthy districts to poorer ones as part of a school finance plan. Voters' worry that school finance plan may be too complex to vote for; Court decision for...
- Iowa. Williamson, Tammy // Bond Buyer;07/02/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30179, p30
Discloses that Polk County, Iowa is set to give 15 school districts a lump-sum payment of $10.9 million in fiscal 1998. Source of the funds; Allocation of $7 million to the Des Moines district.
- Hike in Tennessee Cigarette Tax Would Fund Education Program. Maxwell, Lesli A. // Education Week;2/14/2007, Vol. 26 Issue 23, p18
This article reports that Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen called for $343 million in new education spending, outlining an agenda that would triple the cigarette tax to pay for an expansion of voluntary prekindergarten, college scholarships, and other programs. In his fifth State of the State...
- Citizen â€œTrustâ€ as an Explanation of State Education Funding to Local School Districts. Alm, James; Buschman, Robert D.; Sjoquist, David L. // Publius: The Journal of Federalism;Oct2011, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p636
Many previous studies have examined the level of state grants to local K-12 school districts. However, these studies have not considered the role of citizen â€œtrustâ€ in state versus local governments as a factor. We hypothesize that the role of the state in funding education reflects...
- Penny-wise Award. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);08/18/97, Vol. 44 Issue 33, p1
Commends legislators in Suffolk County, New York for passing a resolution urging the Suffolk Community College Board of Trustees to roll back a proposed tuition increase or face financial penalties.
- Student fees on the rise to help defray costs. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;10/25/95, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p5
Reports on the increase in student fees for a variety of school services that formerly came free. 1975 ruling of Illinois Supreme Court that charging fees for supplementary supplies and services does not infringe on a student's right to a free public education; Comment of parents; Trend in...
- Legislative update. // Education Week;10/25/95, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p25
Reports on summaries of final action by legislatures on state education budgets and other education-related matters. Budgets of Michigan and Missouri; Fiscal year 1996 state budget; Fiscal year 1996 K-12 budget; Budget highlights.
- Calif. educators seek to cash in on good times. Lindsay, Drew // Education Week;4/10/96, Vol. 15 Issue 29, p19
Focuses on the battle over surplus government funds in California. Proposal by Governor Pete Wilson for an increase in the education budget and a tax cut; Opposition to tax cuts; Estimated decrease in amount of revenues available for schools by the proposed tax cut.
- Legislative update. // Education Week;02/19/97, Vol. 16 Issue 21, p13
Presents summaries of governors' budget requests for schools and highlights of proposals on the state education agendas in the United States as of February 19, 1997. Proposed state budget for 1998; Estimated enrollment; Proposed budget for kindergarten to grade 12.