As Its Schools Crumble, Ohio Debates How to Fund a Fix-Up
- Detroit Schools Spending Their Way to Reform. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/27/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31353, p1
Reports the pace of spending to reform the public schools by the finance teams in Detroit, Michigan. Question on the district finances; Submission of yearly audits; Subject on the state address of Governor John Engler.
- revamping California's education finance system. McFadden, Brett M. // Leadership;Mar/Apr2003, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p9
Focuses on why California's budget condition went from boom to bust in a short time. Contribution of the state's revenue structure to the problem; Impact on education finance; Over-reliance on personal income tax; Proposed actions for updating the state's revenue structure and education finance...
- Southwestern States Struggle to Correct School Funding. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;07/25/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30939, p27
Focuses the struggle of Southwestern States to resolve inequities in funding public schools. Use of bonds and other innovative tools to resolve funding inequities; Lawsuits involving capital costs; Problem posed by general system created by lawmakers for allocating funding that must be made more...
- Think like owners, again. TEGHTMEYER, JONATHAN // ATA News;9/25/2012, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p2
The author comments on the public finance in Alberta, Canada that is dependent on the price of oil and natural gas resulting to uncertainties in funding for government services, like education.
- Education stats making Tucson a hard sell. // Inside Tucson Business;01/17/2000, Vol. 9 Issue 43, p4
Discusses issues related to insufficient budget allocated to education in Tucson, Arizona. Teacher pay; School supplies; Extracurricular activities.
- The private school arguments. Erickson, Ralph // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Dec93, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p330
Examines seven major reasons often given by those who attempt to use public money for non-public schools. Educational expenditures; Child benefit theory; Non-ethical courses; Religious-based education; Effective instruction on morality; Double taxation of non-public school patrons; Payment for...
- Despite Impending Ruling, North Carolina Schools Case May Drag On. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;09/21/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30980, p4
Focuses on a lawsuit filed by various North Carolina counties questioning whether the property tax-based system of funding local schools is constitutional. List of North Carolina counties that questioned the state's school funding system; Total amount in school funding demanded by the counties...
- Ohio Supreme Court Still Silent on State School Funding Ruling. Wisniewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;7/20/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31185, p37
Reports on developments concerning the debate over the constitutionality of Ohio's method of funding public schools. Ohio Supreme Court's failure to make a ruling in July 17, 2001; Observers' reaction to the court's delay in the ruling.
- Ohio's Fiscal Health Hinges on State High Court's Ruling. Winiewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;7/11/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31178, p34
Reports on the Ohio Supreme Court's plan to issue its ruling for the third time on whether the state is funding its public schools in a way that is fair to all students. Case background; School bond sales in Ohio.