Black police officer in New Jersey town promoted to captain after filing federal lawsuit
- How good are women cops? Haynes, Karima A. // Ebony;Sep1993, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p64
Focuses on black women police officers who bring a new dimension of sensitivity, creativity and leadership to their work. Number of black women law enforcement officers in the United States; The calming influence of women officers in intense situations; Examples of some women law enforcement...
- Top Black Cops. Kinnon, Joy Bennett // Ebony;Oct1998, Vol. 53 Issue 12, p100
Highlights the top Black police chiefs in the United States, including Terry G. Hillard of Chicago, Illinois, Bernard C. Parks, Los Angeles California, Clarence O'Neal Bradford of Houston, Texas, Benny N. Napoleon of Detroit, Michigan and others.
- The nation's first black woman sheriff. Whetstone, Muriel L. // Ebony;Aug1995, Vol. 50 Issue 10, p94
Features Jackie Barrett, the first black woman sheriff in the United States. Election of Barrett on November 3, 1992; Duties and responsibilities; Family life; Fascination with the field of criminal justice; Accomplishments.
- FIRST NEGRO POLICEWOMAN JOINED L. A. FORCE IN 1916. // Ebony;Sep1954, Vol. 9 Issue 11, p32
The article presents a brief profile of Georgia Robinson, the first African American policewoman who joined the Los Angeles Police Department in 1916.
- How I did it. Allard, Helen Gideon // Essence (Essence);Feb95, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p44
Profiles New Orleans, La.-based Afro-American police officer Jacklean Davis. Arrest record; Achievements; Plans for a movie; Decision to become a police officer; Dealing with racism; Recognition as police officer.
- TICKER TAPE. Booker, Simeon // Jet;10/28/2002, Vol. 102 Issue 19, p14
Gives news concerning African Americans, and mentions Montgomery County, Maryland Police Chief Charles A. Moose.
- On Barry Brown--the life and symbolic death of a police officer who dared to root out corruption. Tatum, Wilbert A. // New York Amsterdam News;11/4/95, Vol. 86 Issue 44, p12
Editorial. Comments on efforts of African American police officer Barry Brown to halt crime in New York City. Rampant corruption of the police system; Excerpt of Brown's resignation letter.
- The Desmond Robinson/Del Debbio affair. Evans, Ronald R. // New York Amsterdam News;6/29/96, Vol. 87 Issue 26, p13
Opinion. Asserts that the death of black policemen during friendly fire exchanges with their white colleagues has been due to racism. Death of local hero and Police officer John Holt in Harlem, New York during a report of theft; Addiction of his sons to heroin; Shooting of Desmond Robinson...
- Africana presents the 2nd Precinct's Black Law Enforcement Pioneer program. // Charlotte Post;8/15/2013, Vol. 38 Issue 49, following p6B
The article reports that the 2nd Precinct of the Virginia Beach Police Department will honor the African American police officers who have served Virginia Beach/Princess Anne County without any racial discrimination at the Cox Cultural Pavilion at 24th Street in Boardwalk, Virginia in 2013.