Metabolic syndrome increases the risk of liver cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis B
- Circulating microRNAs as a Fingerprint for Liver Cirrhosis. Chen, Yan-Jie; Zhu, Ji-Min; Wu, Hao; Fan, Jia; Zhou, Jian; Hu, Jie; Yu, Qian; Liu, Tao-Tao; Yang, Lei; Wu, Chun-Lei; Guo, Xiao-Ling; Huang, Xiao-Wu; Shen, Xi-Zhong // PLoS ONE;Jun2013, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p1
Background: Sensitive and specific detection of liver cirrhosis is an urgent need for optimal individualized management of disease activity. Substantial studies have identified circulation miRNAs as biomarkers for diverse diseases including chronic liver diseases. In this study, we investigated...
- Endoscopic Variceal Ligation Versus Endoscopic Injection Sclerotherapy: Comparison of Hepatic and Renal Function. Nakase, Hiroshi; Kawasaki, Toshihiko; Komori, Hideshi; Sakatani, Noriaki; Sawai, Shigeaki; Chiba, Tsutomu // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Oct1996, Vol. 91 Issue 10, p2170
Objectives: The aim of the present study was to compare the safety of endoscopic variceal ligation (EVL) and endoscopic injection sclerotherapy (EIS) in terms of liver and kidney functions in patients with liver cirrhosis. Methods: Forty-four patients admitted to Takatsuki General Hospital...
- HEPATITIS B: NEWS FROM THE RESEARCH WORLD. Piramanayagam, Paramasivan; Choudhuri, Gourdas; Singh, Shivaram Prasad // Hepatitis B Annual;2009, Vol. 6, p141
Despite the development of an effective vaccine, hepatitis B is still the leading cause of chronic viral hepatitis across the world, especially in developing countries, with over 400 million people across the world estimated to be harboring the infection. This section of the journal highlights a...
- ASSOCIATION BETWEEN METABOLIC SYNDROME AND HEPATITIS B VIRUS INFECTION IN THE ROMA POPULATION IN EASTERN SLOVAKIA: A POPULATION-BASED STUDY. Janičko, Martin; Senajová, Gabriela; Dražilová, Sylvia; Veselíny, Eduard; Fedačko, Ján; Siegfried, Leonard; Kristian, Pavol; Virág, Ladislav; Pella, Daniel; Mareková, Mária; Gecková, Andrea Madarasová; Kalanin, Peter; Jarčuška, Peter; Halánová, Monika // Central European Journal of Public Health;Mar2014 Supplement, pS37
Background: The simultaneous presence of chronic hepatitis B (CHB) and metabolic syndrome (MS) in the high-risk Roma community constitutes a high risk for liver cirrhosis and potentially hepatocellular carcinoma. This study aims to explore the relationship between MS and CHB. Methods: Data from...
- De novo acute infection and reactivation of hepatitis B virus in established cirrhosis. Theodossi, A.; Wilkinson, S.P.W.; Portmann, B.; White, Y.; Eddleston, A.L.W.F.; Williams, Roger; Zuckerman, A.J. // British Medical Journal;10/13/1979, Vol. 2 Issue 6195, p893
Examines the evidence of acute hepatitis B infection in patients with cirrhosis in Great Britain. Acquisition of the infection from blood transfusion; Relation of hepatitis B virus to immunosuppressive drug treatment; Effects on the reactivation of dormant virus infection.
- Hepatitis B and adefovir depivoxil. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Apr97, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p103
Reports that HIV-infected persons infected with hepatitis B (HBV) are at risk for developing liver cirrhosis. Effectiveness and safety of adefovir depivoxil to treat HBV.
- QOF 'should include GI disorders'. // Pulse;6/29/2006, Vol. 66 Issue 26, p13
The article reports on the warning from The Primary Care Society for Gastroenterology (PCSG) to Query Object Framework (QOF) on the exclusion of the latter on gastrointestinal disorders on its first set of clinical reviews in Great Britain. The PSCG considers the exclusion of the QOF first...
- Announcements. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;May1991, Vol. 86 Issue 5, p657
Presents information on conferences and other activities related to the field of gastroenterology to be held from June to September 1991. 11th Annual Advances in Gastroenteroloy; Cellular and Molecular Bases of Liver Cirrhosis; Mayo-European Course in Gastroenterology.
- Nitrate Kinetics in Patients with Compensated Cirrhosis: Correlation with Hemodynamics. Shijo, Hiroshi; Yokoyama, Masanori; Ota, Kazuhiro; Kokawa, Hiroshi; Kubara, Katsuhiko; Kim, Tetsuhiro; Akiyoshi, Nobuo; Okumura, Makoto; Inoue, Kazuhide // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Oct1996, Vol. 91 Issue 10, p2190
Objectives: The serum nitrate concentration is known to be increased in patients with cirrhosis. This study was designed to determine the kinetics of nitrate in the splanchnic vascular areas and its relationship with hepatic hemodynamics in patients with compensated cirrhosis. Methods: We...