What's the SCORE?
- Benefits and Burdens: Immigrant Women and Work in New York City. Foner, Nancy // Gender Issues;Fall98, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p5
Focuses on a study which analyzed the complex and contradictory ways that migration changes women's status in New York City, New York. Benefits of wagework; Conclusion.
- Labouring Abroad. Granville, Brigitte // World Today;Jan2003, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p15
Discusses the issue of immigrant labor. Internal skill shortages within rich countries; Europeans' cultural aversion to immigrants from neighboring regions; Solution of bringing jobs to people rather than migrants to rich countries; Challenge to rich countries to strike the right balance...
- Editor's Note. Bukowczyk, John J. // Journal of American Ethnic History;Spring2010, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p5
The article discusses various reports published within the issue that are all concerned with immigrants or migrant labor in the United States.
- Upgrading the migrant: Neither Huaqiao nor Huaren. Gungwu, Wang // Chinese America: History & Perspectives;1996, p1
Examines the changes and upheavals in the status, attitudes, and societies of ethnic Chinese living in different countries. Reference to speech by the International Society for the Studies of Chinese Overseas; Definition of a migrant; Differences in migrant labor; Changing meanings of the terms...
- Bitter divisions mark East End Worker visa debate. Miller, Jeff // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);4/20/2007, Vol. 54 Issue 17, p16A
The article focuses on the issue related to immigrants in Hamptons, New York State. It is claimed that the growth of illegal immigrants in the state affects its economic development. According to the author, the denial of petitions for seasonal worker visas by the U.S. Department of Labor may...
- Migrants' acquisition of cultural skills and selective immigration policies. Bonn, Moritz // Migration Studies;Mar2015, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p32
This article provides a simple framework for studying migrants' incentives to acquire country-specific skills and proposes an optimal immigration policy from the host country's point of view. The article focuses on the optimal cultural composition of migrants. It shows that as long as the...
- The Myth of Heimkehrillusion. Klimt, Andrea // German Politics & Society;Summer2002, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p115
Focuses on the concept of Heimkehrillusion, the illusion of returning home in migrant workers in the Germany. Permanence of non-German residents in the country; Responsibility of the German state to non-German residents; Circularity of migrants' journey to the country.
- Migration memorial. Kyriakopoulos, Vikki // Bulletin with Newsweek;09/30/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6091, p30
Presents information on the Bonegilla Migrant Reception Centre near Albury on the Victoria-New South Wales border in Australia. Fiftieth anniversary reunion in 1997; Symbol of Australia's postwar history; Offer from the Defense Department to transfer the site to the Victorian government; Premier...
- Texas must take urgent action on migrant children crisis. // Malakoff News (TX);8/1/2014, Vol. 105 Issue 31, p2
The article discusses the need for the Texan government to take urgent action on migrant children crisis.