- Proposed pit still unpermitted after 30 years. Aston, R. Lee // Pit & Quarry;May95, Vol. 87 Issue 11, p20
Reports on the ordeal experienced by the companies Kerr-MacGee Chemical Corp. and Global Exploration and Development Corp. in getting phosphate prospecting permits in the Osceola National Forest of northern Florida. Federal bureaucratic calls for numerous economic reports; Concerns for the...
- From Coal Mines to Rain Forests - Lloyd Bird. Cooke, Glenn // Australian Garden History;Feb-Apr2005, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p15
Profiles coal miner and environmentalist Lloyd Bird from Ipswich, Queensland. Factors which contributed to the loss of native vegetation in the region; Description of the garden of Bird; Award received by Bird in 1983; History of the interest of Bird in rainforests.
- VOICES FROM COMMON GROUND. MULLINS, NICK // Audubon;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 116 Issue 5, p55
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of being a coal miner and a climate change activist.
- Gov't soft on sand thief. McIlroy, Jim // Green Left Weekly;7/14/2010, Issue 844, p5
The article reports on the call of environmentalists to the state government in Australia to cancel a mining lease located on North Stradbroke Island due to illegally mined landscape and building industries.
- Support this triple bottom line. Loos, Trent // High Plains Journal;8/10/2015, Vol. 133 Issue 32, p26B
The article discusses the challenges faced by global mining industry, including environmentalists who continue to cast doubt on the industry's value.
- Nevada's acid test. Lynne, Heidi // Las Vegas Business Press;09/28/98, Vol. 15 Issue 39, p8
Focuses on the concerns of environmentalists in Nevada about the poisonous chemicals coming from the cyanide heap leaching process in gold mining. Negative impact of the chemicals on wildlife and human life; Opposition against the plan to reform the 1872 Mining law; Reclamation for most active...
- David faces Goliath over future of farmland. Hope, Marjorie; Young, James // Christian Science Monitor;11/20/97, Vol. 89 Issue 249, p15
Reports on the efforts of environmental groups in Ohio to stop the Martin Marietta Materials company from turning productive farmland into mines for limestone and other products. Details of action taken by the Clinton County Environmental Preservation Association to challenge the company; The...
- Peru battles the golden curse of Madre de Dios. Gardner, Elie // Nature;6/21/2012, Vol. 486 Issue 7403, p306
The article reports that the unregulated gold mines in Madre de Dios has left a trail of environmental devastation in Peru. It states that Madre de Dios has become the ground zero of gold rush in Peru with an estimated 30,000 artisanal and small-scale miners working in the area. It notes that...
- ROSIA MONTANA. Meloche, François // Corporate Knights Magazine;Dec2005, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p30
The article offers information on Gabriel Resources, a Canadian company whose proposal to open a mining project at Rosia Montana village in Transylvania, Romania faced opposition from villagers and environmentalists. The proposed mine would displace an estimated 2,000 people, level four...