Some Like It Hot
- Warriors on the fire line: The deployment of service members to fight fire in the United States. Delzompo, Francis A. // Army Lawyer;Apr95, Issue 269, p51
Reports on the deployment of military troops to fight fire in the United States. Historical background; Role of the Stafford Act on military participation; Signing of the Federal Emergency Management by former US president Jimmy Carter; Role of the Department of Defense; Military coordination...
- Fewer volunteers down at the local firehouse. Savoye, Craig // Christian Science Monitor;2/11/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 56, p2
Reports on the decreasing number of volunteer firefighters in the United States.
- Accreditation: Building fire departments through self-assessment. Walter, Andrea // Public Management (00333611);Mar98, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p14
Discusses a fire service accreditation system jointly designed by the International City/County Management Association and the International Association of Fire Chiefs in the United States. Benefits offered to fire services agencies; Proposed fee structure of the accreditation cost; Categories...
- Anti-fur protesters present rescue challenge. McLees, Mark J. // Fire Engineering;Jun96, Vol. 149 Issue 6, p30
Focuses on the role of firefighters in the United States in incidents prompted by social unrest by relating the cooperation between firefighters and police officers in rescuing anti-fur demonstrators in Syracuse, New York State. Details of the rescue challenge; Lessons learned by firefighters...
- On the job at Fire Station 16. Grube, Martin C. // Highlights for Children;Oct96, Vol. 51 Issue 10, p22
Offers insights into the work of a fireman. Daily equipment check; Cutting of holes in roofs to allow smoke and hot gases to escape; Cutting off all circuit breakers; Extinguishing of smouldering places; Cleaning of equipment after use; Practice drills; Updating of incoming shift of previous...
- `In charge' of a volunteer department, part 2. Buckman, John M. // Fire Engineering;Feb96, Vol. 149 Issue 2, p10
Part II. Discusses the primary responsibilities of a fire volunteer department head in the United States in the 1990s. Need to know the limitations and strengths of other people; Need to be an expert in persuading others to work in a common direction; Moderate use of manipulation.
- First-due. Pressler, Bob // Fire Engineering;Apr97, Vol. 150 Issue 4, p38
Discusses information on how to respond in a fire incident. What the firefighters should do; How to deal with the situation.
- Lessons from the P.A.S.T. Shouldis, William // Fire Engineering;Apr97, Vol. 150 Issue 4, p133
Discusses information about the responsibilities of firefighters in rescuing victims of a fire incident. The importance of a clear communication; Responsibilities of the medical control officer; Suggestions for improving individual and organizational performance.
- Assayii Lake Fire became personal for DinÃ© firefighters. BOWMAN, TERRY // Navajo Times;7/3/2014, Vol. 53 Issue 27, pA-2
The article focuses on the efforts of the BIA Fire Management Team in curtailing the fire at the Assayii Lake in New Mexico and discusses the emotional impact it had on the firefighters as the fire destroyed their land.