Volvo looking to axe 136 jobs
- Mack, Volvo plan layoffs. // Fleet Equipment;Dec2006, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p18
The article reports on the layoff plan of Mack Trucks Inc. and Volvo Trucks in anticipation of declining demand for vehicles compliant with the emission standards implemented by the Environmental Protection Agency in the U.S. Mack Trucks will retrench around 450 positions in mid-April 2007,...
- Exploring the consequences of workforce reduction. Wagar, Terry H. // Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences (Canadian Journal of;Dec98, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p300
Examines the relationship between permanent workforce reduction and three sets of outcomes. Impact of downsizing on the survivors; Consequences of downsizing; High-involvement workplace strategy; Conclusion.
- Lessons learned. Nelson, Debra L.; Burke, Ronald J. // Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences (Canadian Journal of;Dec98, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p372
Presents lessons learned about downsizing. Reason organizations downsize; Advantages of downsizing; Effectiveness of downsizing; Guidelines for future downsizing efforts; Factors to improve in downsizing; Conclusion.
- Surviving corporate downsizing talk. Sherman, Lynn // Bond Buyer;04/22/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30625, p31
Focuses on how to survive a corporate downsizing. Handling of responsibilities of departing co-workers.
- Corporations should offer more attention to downsizing survivors. // Corporate Board;Sep/Oct96, Vol. 17 Issue 100, p26
Reports on the importance for corporations to be aware of the needs of employees who survive a reorganization. Possible reduction in productivity and profit loss following downsizing; Focus on collaboration among workers and not competition; Need to train workers for additional duties.
- The Downsizing Sequel: Surviving Corporate Change. Kelly, Beth // Grand Rapids Business Journal;9/23/2002, Vol. 20 Issue 38, p29
Discusses tips on surviving a downsizing situation. Helping of laid-off friends; Options of downsized employees; Keeping things in perspective.
- Work-force board facing potential cutbacks. Watt, Katherine // Inside Tucson Business;03/26/2001, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p20
Reports on the possible downsizing of the Pima County Workforce Investment Board in Arizona. Budget boost of the Arizona Department of Education; Retraining of young workers.
- All pain, no gain. Peak, Martha H. // Management Review;Jul96, Vol. 85 Issue 7, p1
Comments on corporate downsizing as a necessary evil. American Management Association's (AMA) monitoring of downsizing trends in the United States; Statistics showing that downsizing is bad for business; Elimination of the traditional agreement between employee and employer; Need for chief...
- Employment contract myth. Fagiano, David // Management Review;Jul96, Vol. 85 Issue 7, p5
Comments on issues related to corporate downsizing in the United States. Philosophy stating that organizations no longer owe employees lifetime employment but that employees are owed lifetime employability; Premier survey on downsizing by the American Management Association (AMA); Talks about...