Strategies from the Last Slowdown
- Mercer's "Bucket List" of Bookstores. // World Literature Today;Sep/Oct2008, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p50
The article provides a list of independent bookstores across the world.
- Category Review: Biography & Autobiography Resilient with Political Book Assist. // Book Publishing Report;Dec2008, Vol. 33 Issue 12, p1
The article reports on the survey of independent bookstores conducted by Simba Information in the U.S. It shows that biography and autobiography titles were in high demand. Other big segments, such as psychology and psychiatry, religion and family and relationship were holding their ground....
- INDEPENDENT RETAILER WATCH: Lessons for the Big Three. // Book Publishing Report;Apr2007, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p12
The article reports on the business performance of independent book retailers in 2006 in the U.S. The survey conducted by Simba Information Inc. reveals the various responses of five states concerning bookselling in the country. It was shown that the success of independent booksellers was...
- The Science and Art of Customer Attention. // Book Publishing Report;Mar2008, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p12
The article presents a study of Simba Information Inc. concerning the attitude of customers in the U.S. The study indicated that 72.9% book retailers described the average customer as somewhat decisive. Meanwhile, 15.6% retailers claimed that an average customer knows what author they want. Book...
- Price Watch Preview: A Look at Fiction Through the Years. // Book Publishing Report;Apr2010, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p10
The article focuses on the analysis of Simba Information Inc. on the prices of books from 2002-2010 which are identified in the standard formats of mass market, trade paper, and trade cloth. It notes that there have been increasing pressure on price points since 2002, but the recession seems to...
- Bookstores on same page. Alexander, Susanne M. // Crain's Cleveland Business;01/08/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p13
Reports on United States independent bookstores' formation of a coalition to establish Booksense as a national branding image and the web site www.booksense.com for online retail sales. Goal to become a strong and viable alternative to the large chain booksellers and online dominants; Use of...
- Does Rain Dampen Book Sales? // Book Publishing Report;Jul2009, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p12
The article discusses factors that influence bookstore traffic in the U.S. Thomson Reuters reports that June 2009 was a difficult month due to anxiety about the economy and rainy weather. A survey of independent bookstores by the periodical found that three out of four believed that bad weather...
- Another regional bars chains. // Publishers Weekly;10/24/1994, Vol. 241 Issue 43, p9
Reports that the Intermountain Booksellers Association has changed its name to Intermountain Independent Booksellers Association.
- An industry in denial. Harris, Jim // Quill & Quire;May99, Vol. 65 Issue 5, p9
Reports on the increase of online book sales in Canada. Correlation between education, computer ownership and buying books; Tactics for independent bookstores to compete with the online environment; Reason of the domination of Amazon Bookstores on online sales.