A simple index on the day of admission which predicts outcome in acute pancreatitis
- Position paper: timely interventions in severe acute pancreatitis are crucial for survival. Mentula, Panu; Leppäniemi, Ari // World Journal of Emergency Surgery;2014, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p1
Severe acute pancreatitis has high mortality, but multiple and timely interventions can improve survival. Early in the course of the disease aggressive fluid resuscitation is needed for the prevention and treatment of shock. In conjunction with leaking capillaries this results in increased...
- Drotrecogin alfa in tropical infections and refractory multi-organ failure. Kapadia, Farhad; Shirwadkar, Charudatt // Intensive Care Medicine;Aug2006, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p1281
A letter to the editor is presented about the therapeutic effect of drotrecogin alfa in patients suffering from malaria and leptospirosis with refractory multi-organ failure.
- Ã‡oklu Organ YetersizliÄŸi ile Seyreden Bir Leptospiroz Olgusu. Okur, Mesut; Akgün, Cihangir; Bektaş, Mehmet Selçuk; Kaya, Avni; Temel, Hayrettin; Açıkgöz, Mehmet; Doğan, Şekibe Zehra // Journal of Pediatric Infection / Cocuk Enfeksiyon Dergisi;Dec2010, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p165
Leptospirosis is a zoonotic infection caused by a spirochete of the genus Leptospira, which may affect both humans and animals and is common worldwide. The disease may lead to distinct clinical pictures in humans varying from subclinical infection to multiple organ dysfunction and even death. In...
- A Prospective Evaluation of the Bedside Index for Severity in Acute Pancreatitis Score in Assessing Mortality and Intermediate Markers of Severity in Acute Pancreatitis. Singh, Vikesh K.; Wu, Bechien U.; Bollen, Thomas L.; Repas, Kathryn; Maurer, Rie; Johannes, Richard S.; Mortele, Koenraad J.; Conwell, Darwin L.; Banks, Peter A. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Apr2009, Vol. 104 Issue 4, p966
OBJECTIVES:Our aim was to prospectively evaluate the ability of the bedside index for severity in acute pancreatitis (BISAP) score to predict mortality as well as intermediate markers of severity in a tertiary center.METHODS:The BISAP score was evaluated among 397 consecutive cases of acute...
- Scrub typhus: Emerging cause of multiorgan dysfunction. Rungta, Narendra // Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine;Aug2014, Vol. 18 Issue 8, p489
The author reflects on the scrub typhus, a zoonotic infectious diseases caused by Cocco-bacilli, as an emerging cause of multiorgan dysfunction. Topics discussed include the disease which was accompanied by several symptoms, which include myalgia, nausea, and vomiting, several body parts where...
- Septic shock: treating more than just blood pressure. Mayers, Irvin; Johnson, David // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;2/08/2000, Vol. 162 Issue 3, p369
Reports on the treatment of septic shock, which occurs when the host's response to infection is excessive. The ultimate aim to prevent sepsis-related multiple organ failure, the primary cause of death; Prospects for therapeutic treatments, including cloned proteins and monoclonal anitbodies.
- Preventive Effect of Three Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) Seeds Fractions on Cerulein-Induced Acute Pancreatitis in Mice. Minaiyan, Mohsen; Zolfaghari, Behzd; Taheri, Diana; Gomarian, Mahdi // International Journal of Preventive Medicine;Apr2014, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p394
Background: Acute pancreatitis (AP) refers to afflicted inflammation of pancreas with unfavorable adverse effects and developed multiple organ failures. Unfortunately, there is not a certain therapeutic method for this disease. Oxidative stress has a serious role in the pathogenesis of AP. Thus,...
- Pancreatic cancer care could improve with valid care indicators. Adams, Stacey L.; Haigh, Christen; Harris, Jason; Lawrence, Leah // Hem/Onc Today;7/25/2009, Vol. 10 Issue 14, p16
The article discusses a study on the role of using accepted quality indicators in improving the care of patients with pancreatic cancer and in reducing the variability in outcomes among hospitals in the U.S.
- PANCREATITIS AGUDA: ANALISIS DE 97 PACIENTES. Pellegrini, Debora; Pankl, Sonia; Finn, Barbara C.; Bruetman, Julio E.; Zubiaurre, Ignacio; Young, Pablo // Medicina (Buenos Aires);2009, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p239
Acute pancreatitis (AP) is a disease with several causes and diverse clinical course. In our environment there are not many papers on this entity and they approach punctual features inside the broad spectrum picture. The aim of this study is to determinate clinical features, etiology, handling...