Evaluating the use of enforced clozapine in an Australian forensic psychiatric setting: two cases
- CLOZAPINE INDUCED PARALYTIC ILEUS. Nayak, Veena; Chogtu, Bharti; Devaramane, Virupaksha; Vasudeva, S.; Bhandary, P. V. // Journal of Pharmaceutical Research & Health Care;Oct2010, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p330
Clozapine is an atypical antipsychotic drug used for the treatment of schizophrenia in patient not responding to other antipsychotics. Dry mouth, constipation, loss of accommodation and urinary retention are the common side effects encountered with this drug. Here we are reporting a case of...
- Acceptability and Disintegration Rates of Orally Disintegrating Risperidone Tablets in Patients With Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective Disorder. Chue, Pierre; Welch, Ron; Binder, Carin // Canadian Journal of Psychiatry;Oct2004, Vol. 49 Issue 10, p701
Objective: To investigate the disintegration profile, acceptability, and tolerability of orally disintegrating risperidone tablets in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Method: Ten patients stable for at least 10 days on monotherapy with oral risperidone 2 mg to 4 mg taken...
- Rationale and design of an independent randomised controlled trial evaluating the effectiveness of aripiprazole or haloperidol in combination with clozapine for treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Nosè, Michela; Accordini, Simone; Artioli, Paola; Barale, Francesco; Barbui, Corrado; Beneduce, Rossella; Berardi, Domenico; Bertolazzi, Gerardo; Biancosino, Bruno; Bisogno, Alfredo; Bivi, Raffaella; Bogetto, Filippo; Boso, Marianna; Bozzani, Alberto; Bucolo, Piera; Casale, Marcello; Cascone, Liliana; Ciammella, Luisa; Cicolini, Alessia; Cipresso, Gabriele // Trials;2009, Vol. 10, p1
Background: One third to two thirds of people with schizophrenia have persistent psychotic symptoms despite clozapine treatment. Under real-world circumstances, the need to provide effective therapeutic interventions to patients who do not have an optimal response to clozapine has been cited as...
- Successful management of clozapine adverse effects with extended (alternate day) antipsychotic dosing in a patient with schizophrenia. Kumar, Vijaya; Sharma, Lavanya; Madival, Srikanth; Venkatasubramanian, Ganesan // Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience;Jan2016, Vol. 41 Issue 1, pE1
The article describes the case of a 57 year old woman with treatment-resistant schizophrenia who was started on clozapine to augment her ongoing treatment with olanzapine. The adverse effects decreased after the caregiver changed her medication regimen where she was given 15 milligram (mg) of...
- SHAKE IT UP! Schaaf, Rachelle Vander // Parenting;Sep2000, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p35
Stresses the need to follow the Shake before using label of some medicines. Forms of medicines that come in liquid or suspension form; Why some medicines need to be shaken; Consequence of not shaking medicines.
- Effectiveness of long-acting injectable antipsychotics: a clinical perspective. Castillo, Enrico G.; Stroup, T. Scott // Medical Humanities;May2015, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p36
The article reports on the effectiveness of the antipsychotic long-acting injectable (LAI). Topics discussed include the risk of schizophrenia, the antipsychotic medications management, and the schizophrenia patients management. Also mentioned are the randomised controlled trials for LAI, the...
- In vivo immunomodulatory effects of clozapine in schizophrenia. Hornig, Mady; Maes, M.; Bosmans, E.; Kenis, G.; De Jong, R.; Smith, R.S.; Meltzer, H.Y. // Advances in Mind-Body Medicine;Winter2000, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p52
Presents an abstract of the article 'In Vivo Immunomodulatory Effects of Clozapine in Schizophrenia,' by M. Maes, E. Bosmans, G. Kenis, R. De Jong, R.S. Smith and H.Y. Meltzer published in the 1997 issue of 'Schizophrenic Research'.
- Clozapine. // Reactions Weekly;9/11/2010, Issue 1318, p17
The article describes the case of a 32-year-old man who developed persistent paroxysmal perceptual alterations while undergoing clozapine treatment for schizophrenia.
- PrÃ¤deliktische Behandlungswege schizophrener Patienten der forensischen Psychiatrie. Piontek, K.; Kutscher, S.-U.; König, A.; Leygraf, N. // Der Nervenarzt;Jan2013, Vol. 84 Issue 1, p55
Background: The number of schizophrenic patients admitted to forensic hospitals according to section 63 of the German Criminal Code has increased continuously over the past years. Prior to admission to a forensic ward, two thirds of schizophrenic patients have been admitted to a general...