Statistical analysis of the Bacterial Carbohydrate Structure Data Base (BCSDB): Characteristics and diversity of bacterial carbohydrates in comparison with mammalian glycans
- GlycoCD: a repository for carbohydrate-related CD antigens. Kumar, Sonu; Lütteke, Thomas; Schwartz-Albiez, Reinhard // Bioinformatics;Oct2012, Vol. 28 Issue 19, p2553
Summary: The open access comprehensive GlycoCD database application is for representation and retrieval of carbohydrate-related clusters of differentiation (CDs). The main objective of this database platform is to provide information about interactions of carbohydrate moieties with proteins that...
- Mariprofundus ferrooxydans PV-1 the First Genome of a Marine Fe(II) Oxidizing Zetaproteobacterium. Singer, Esther; Emerson, David; Webb, Eric A.; Barco, Roman A.; Kuenen, J. Gijs; Nelson, William C.; Chan, Clara S.; Comolli, Luis R.; Ferriera, Steve; Johnson, Justin; Heidelberg, John F.; Edwards, Katrina J. // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 9, p1
Mariprofundus ferrooxydans PV-1 has provided the first genome of the recently discovered Zetaproteobacteria subdivision. Genome analysis reveals a complete TCA cycle, the ability to fix CO2, carbon-storage proteins and a sugar phosphotransferase system (PTS). The latter could facilitate the...
- mesosome. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1451
A definition of the term "mesosome" is presented, which, in bacteria, refers to invaginations of the cell membrane.
- Mollicutes. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1483
An encyclopedia entry for "Mollicutes," which refers to a class of very small bacteria, some of which have cell walls and others of which have no cell walls but are surrounded by a cell membrane, is presented.
- CELL WALL COMPOSITION OF A MARINE CYTOPHAGA. Collins, F.M. // Australian Journal of Experimental Biology & Medical Science;Apr1964, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p263
Examines the cell wall composition of Cytophaga fermentans, a marine strain of Cytophaga. Protein and carbohydrate contents; Amino acid composition; Glucosamine concentration.
- Studies on the assembly of a leucine zipper antibacterial peptide and its analogs onto mammalian cells and bacteria. Ahmad, Aqeel; Azmi, Sarfuddin; Ghosh, Jimut // Amino Acids;Feb2011, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p749
Membrane-interaction and assembly of a leucine zipper peptide (LZP), and its single (SASA) and double (DASA) alanine-substituted analog onto mammalian, hRBCs and 3T3 cells and bacteria, Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus were studied as a model system to understand the plausible role of...
- Basement Membrane Zone Collagens XV and XVIII/Proteoglycans Mediate Leukocyte Influx in Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion. Zaferani, Azadeh; Talsma, Ditmer T.; Yazdani, Saleh; Celie, Johanna W. A. M.; Aikio, Mari; Heljasvaara, Ritva; Navis, Gerjan J.; Pihlajaniemi, Taina; van den Born, Jacob // PLoS ONE;Sep2014, Vol. 9 Issue 9, p1
Collagen type XV and XVIII are proteoglycans found in the basement membrane zones of endothelial and epithelial cells, and known for their cryptic anti-angiogenic domains named restin and endostatin, respectively. Mutations or deletions of these collagens are associated with eye, muscle and...
- Kinetic Basis for the Donor Nudeotide-Sugar Specificity of Î²l,4-N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase III1. Ikeda, Yoshitaka; Koyota, Souichi; Ihara, Hideyuki; Yamaguchi, Yukihiro; Korekane, Hiroaki; Tsuda, Takeo; Sasai, Ken; Taniguchi, Naoyuki // Journal of Biochemistry;2000, Vol. 128 Issue 4, p609
The kinetic basis of the donor substrate specificity of Î²1,4-N-acetylgiucosaminyltrans-ferase HI (GnT-III) was investigated using a purified recombinant enzyme. The enzyme also transfers GalNAc and Glc moieties from their respective UDP-sugars to an acceptor at rates of 0.1â€“0.2% of...
- Structural glycobiology of human Î±1-acid glycoprotein and its implications for pharmacokinetics and inflammation. Fernandes, Cláudia L.; Ligabue-Braun, Rodrigo; Verli, Hugo // Glycobiology;Oct2015, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p1125
Human Î±1-acid glycoprotein (AGP) is an abundant human plasma glycoprotein that may be N-glycosylated at five positions. AGP plays important roles on pharmacokinetics and can rise up to 5-fold in inflammatory events. In such events, the glycan chains attached to Asn54, Asn75 and Asn85 may...